[Resolved] How do I install and activate my addon?

Home Forums Support How do I install and activate my addon?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 192 total)
  • Author
    Sandra Robinov

I got the code from my old theme but it’s standard, isn’t it?

? So on my pages and in my posts, rather than the line, it shows the code now…is there a quick fix or am I doomed to manual laboring this? ACK πŸ™‚

If you need a peek: http://informedsharing.com πŸ™‚ It’s a bit rough right now, as I was just playing early this morning…I’m digging in now with the add-ons, etc…

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Site is looking great! πŸ™‚

Not standard unfortunately, this is why WordPress devs frown upon putting shortcodes in themes, when you switch, you’re left with ugly little codes.

Not doomed, though!

First, install and activate this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/code-snippets/

Next, add this code to it:

function generate_custom_hr_shortcode() {
          return '<hr />';
    }
    add_shortcode( 'hr', 'generate_custom_hr_shortcode' );

So basically we’re just creating our own little [ hr ] shortcode πŸ™‚

Hope this helps!

Sandra Robinov

You are AWEsome πŸ™‚ But are you asking me to go into PHP files? I’m a scaredy cat, lol. I’ll install the plugin meanwhile and see if it isn’t self explanatory.

Found another ish, my Analytics. Do you/we have a spot for that? and if not, might you help me put it in a good spot, too? I have avoided altering any files so far (with the old theme) and am wicked scared to do so. I’ve got the code, just need to drop it back in somewhere. The footer PHP, I think but OMGosh…lol. But seriously…

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hopefully it should be as easy as installing that plugin and dropping in that snippet of code – nothing too scary πŸ™‚

As for analytics, you have a couple options.

1. Use GP Hooks and drop your tracking code into either the wp_head or wp_footer hook.
    2. Use the Google Analytics tracking plugin by Yoast SEO.

Avoiding changes to core files is a good thing! There’s almost no excuse to ever do that πŸ™‚

Thanks!

Sandra Robinov

Okay. But so where do I “drop that code”? The first one. For the plugin. My apologies, I’m a techy-idiot but I try πŸ˜‰ Perhaps spelling it out would be best πŸ˜‰

As for Analytics, that doesn’t sound too hard, I’ll try it. Carefully πŸ™‚

Seriously, I love great CS and you are as good as they said you were (yes, I read those reviews) πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Once the snippet plugin is installed, you should see a “Snippets” menu item on the left in your menu.

Go to “Snippets > Add New”, and drop that code I gave you above in there, then save changes.

That should be it πŸ™‚

Thanks! The reviews mean a lot to me, it means I’m doing my job!

Sandra Robinov

PS: in GPHooks, it’s asking if I want to execute PHP (check the box)? Do I? before saving changes with the analytics code?

Thank you kindly πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Nope, you shouldn’t need to do execute any PHP in there, just drop in your code and save πŸ™‚

Sandra Robinov

Awesome on the snippets thing, on to that!! I will let you know if I need more hand holding. As for the review..I mean what I say and I say what I mean. And I’ll be sharing more on the site. Word of a blogger is golden, they say. I never have an issue calling anyone out – good or bad CS – it’s how we learn and grow to do our best πŸ™‚

KK – RE: analytics πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer
    Sandra Robinov

YAY, my lines are BACK! And wicked way more sexy with your theme than before πŸ™‚ Not that I didn’t love my olde theme – we’d grown apart…

I took care of the Analytics thing too, but will doubly make sure in the AM with the numbers to make sure it’s working right. I don’t trust those numbers but some of the review sites I work with, do. Ugh. πŸ˜‰ I dropped it in the footer hooky thingy (see, I can be technical, too πŸ˜‰ )

Anyway, off to play with all my new toys. Thanks again for ABOVE and BEYOND. πŸ™‚ Have a great rest of the day πŸ™‚

Tony Winter

Hi Tom, I’m getting a 500 internal server error when I try to upload the premium pack zip file to my Word Press install. I sent an email with a temp login and details on the issue. Would sure appreciate it if you could give it a try and see if this is something you’ve seen before.

Thanks a ton!

Tony Winter

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Tony,

Sorry you’re running into this issue.

You’re the first person who is having this problem, so I don’t have a solution right away as I’d like to.

Who are you hosted with?

It’s 12AM here, so for now I’ve uploaded all of the add-ons independently into your installation so you can at least start using them until we get this sorted out.

Can you try increasing your memory, and see if that fixes the issue?

http://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/increasing-memory-limit/

Let me know =)

Tony Winter

The issue ended up being the my hosting provider’s PHP installation had a low file upload size limit. They’ve increased the limit and the plugins are now working great. Thanks for the help Tom on this great looking theme.

Tony Winter

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 192 total)
  • The topic ‘How do I install and activate my addon?’ is closed to new replies.