Home Forums Support Future Addon Ideas

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 236 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

@Matt,

I totally agree – this is actually why the Sections add-on hasn’t come out as quick as I would have liked.

One thing I’ve done is add a button which will transfer all of the content from the Sections add-on to the default editor, so it gives people the choice to quit the add-on and move to a different theme, without having to manually re-enter all of their content.

At some point, I would like a button to do this to every single page using Sections if someone decides they no longer want to use GeneratePress.

Ashish

What about a widgetized homepage or a news type home page widget or theme option.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That would definitely be pretty cool. Could definitely happen πŸ™‚

marvin

adding favicon from the theme itself would be wonderful. I’m finding it a hassle to modify the header.php and uploading my favicon in my server. so it would really be nice if there will be a one button favicon tool in the theme πŸ™‚

Pete

There’s already a good plugin for that. Have a look in the WP plugin repository.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Instead of modifying the header.php file or even installing a plugin, just drop your favicon.ico file in the root directory of your website. Done and done πŸ™‚

Jean Paiva
    Developer

Hey Tom, what about the shortcodes plugin?

Grids, tabs, boxes…simple elements. I’m using the ACF Flexible Content Fields, is very lightweight and fast to use!

If you need some extra coffee I’ll be glad to help! Almost 200k downloads πŸ˜€

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Jean,

I built it to include grids and buttons, then was sidetracked by the Sections add-on.

The idea of a shortcodes add-on is great, but it kind of handcuffs users into using GeneratePress. If they decide against using GP, the shortcodes will cease to work on their website.

Sections kind of does the same thing, which is why it was so delayed. I decided it was worth releasing, and added a button to send the section contents to the default editor if a user decided to stop using Sections/GP.

Not sure what I would do with the shortcodes add-on – maybe just release it as a free add-on WordPress.org? That’s what I’ve been leaning towards.

Almost at 200k indeed! I can’t believe it really πŸ™‚

BTW, thanks for helping out on the forum, it’s really appreciated!

Jean Paiva
    Developer

Yes I understand. But instead of having the shortcode as addon, you can create a new plugin like the lightweight social icons.
    I don’t know too much about plugin development just the basics, but if you create something that even if the user deactivate the plugin the html tags still work.

I made a video how I’m using ACF for shortcodes, the only problem is that I can not add into the text editor or GP sections. I sent to your mail the youtube video link.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Yea, that’s probably what I’ll end up doing πŸ™‚

ACF is pretty awesome – I was initially going to use it for the Sections add-on, but it added 3MB of memory usage, and was pretty slow to save, so I ended up re-writing the entire metabox from scratch which only takes up about .3MB of php memory and is much quicker.

NaveenKumar Namachivayam

Can we have social icons as an add-on. It is must for any wordpress theme πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

This is a free plugin I developed πŸ™‚ http://wordpress.org/plugins/lightweight-social-icons/

NaveenKumar Namachivayam

Can we have add on Facebook Like Box and Twitter widget πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Facebook and Twitter actually have their own widgets you can add into your own Text widget.

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/plugins/page-plugin
    https://twitter.com/settings/widgets

Barbara Lougheed

I would like an option in the blog to have my posts WITHIN A CATEGORY appear in normal date order, with the oldest post at the top. Sometimes I tell a story by adding post after post to the same category. But a newcomer would see the latest post and have no idea what I’m talking about. They need to start at the beginning, but by default, everything is shown in reverse date order!

Thanks for creating a great theme. I love all the options and flexibility!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 236 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.