Home Forums Support Future Addon Ideas

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 236 total)
  • Author
    Sebastian

Hi Tom,
    I think that your theme is great but I would be happy to find few more of small features in it:
    1. Option like no background color attached to page layout elements (like content or columns).
    2. Transparency for background elements would be also a nice thing.
    3. It was mentioned before but slider for main baner.

Regards
    Sebastian

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for the ideas!

1. You can currently remove the color values from any of our color options to apply no color at all.
    2. I agree, transparency would be nice. This is on the road map.
    3. Sliders are one of those things I generally lean more towards plugins for (there are so many slider plugins), although it’s not completely out of the question.

Thanks again!

Sebastian

Thank you Tom πŸ™‚
    Yep, no color works fine … Sorry, didn’t know πŸ™‚
    Keep up the good work!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem! Thank you! πŸ™‚

Robert

Hey Tom, love your theme. Left you a good 5 star review/recommendation on WordPress. As for suggestions, I do have some regarding the sidebars.

I like for my sidebars to really stand out and separate from the body content, but currently it can be difficult to do this without the ability to set a border on the sidebars. It’s kind of confusing for me to explain, as I’m not a programmer lol, but basically we’d need (I think) is the ability to set,

Background color of sidebar.

Background color of widget area.

Border color and thickness of widget area.

Rounded or squared border or widget area..

Something like that would be epic. πŸ™‚ Thanks for listening to our constant suggestions!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

A borders add-on is definitely on the radar!

Making it rounded etc.. is probably something best left to CSS as it’s quite easy to adjust:

.widget {
        border-radius: 5px;
    }

Appreciate the suggestions! πŸ™‚

Alfred

Ok, I have a suggestion. In fact, I can’t believe it’s not an addon.

I tried to add a footer menu. A simple, horizontal footer menu. With GP Premium, it’s got to be easy right?

Not so fast. So far I’ve been able to find several threads, all mentioning some CSS (but neglecting to indicate how to actually execute it for footer menu.)
    Another thread mentioned a plug-in (which seems crazy for a theme like this.

Why not just a footer addon where you could select what you put in it. Similar to the header widget where you can throw a widget and customize the location.

Is it me or don’t a lot of websites have footer nav? How could it be so complicated in a theme as smart as GP? (I’m a fan if you can tell).

Am I missing something obvious? (FYI, tried GP Hooks tried putting it into widget 3 (to get is centered, tried the code below.) NOOOOO, it can’t be this complex from something so common, not in my GP premium…..

Tom….any suggestion?

i.e.
    .footer-widgets .menu {
    text-align: center;
    }

.footer-widgets .widget_nav_menu li {
    display: inline-block;
    margin-right: 10px;
    }

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Yea, a few people have asked for an easier footer menu.

This code you mentioned:

.footer-widgets .widget_nav_menu li {
        display: inline-block;
        margin-right: 10px;
    }

Will display your menu links in a line if you create a menu (Appearance > Menus) and add it to a footer widget using the “Custom Menu” widget in Appearance > Widgets.

Another way which is super easy is to just add the HTML for your links in the copyright add-on (Customize > Copyright):

<a href="https://generatepress.com">GeneratePress</a> | <a href="https://google.com">Google</a> | etc..

I agree though, a footer menu option should be added to the copyright area. I’ll see if I can get something added in the next few releases πŸ™‚

Alfred

Thanks Tom,

Great to see I wasn’t missing something obvious.

My work around was adding a section and apppling the same color background as the footer, then just adding the links via html, similar to what you mentioned. (I didn’t want to mess with the copyright widget.)

Tom, this theme is very, very dam near perfect. Something that allows anyone, (and I mean an non-techie with only basic html/css knowledge) to create pretty much anything they want.

Amazing as it may seen, I actually have Thrive Themes (I’m a gonna let that lapse ;), AND Genesis with Dynamik website builder. My combo of Generate Press Premium, Elementor Pro and CSS Hero has those other two beat without breaking a sweat…. I can do pretty much anything I want with a few clicks.

One more suggestion, (as long as we’re on the subject). A way for the theme to: (without the need for plugins)

1. Duplicate pages
    2. Send SMTP email from wordpress.

Thanks

Alfred

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That’s great – I’m glad you’re enjoying it!

Duplicating pages and sending email is something that should be done by plugins – I actually believe there’s two very popular plugins that achieve both of those things already. Less code for me to maintain = higher quality everything πŸ™‚

brandonhull

I’m a new GP Premium customer. Using it in conjunction with Elementor Pro to build out my first site. Love the speed with which I’ve been able to re-create and upgrade my site, previously custom-built with the new Divi theme and page builder.

I think the three things I’d love to see with future add-ons are:

1. Numerous email service providers’ support with form elements. Mailchimp, ConvertKit, ActiveCampaign, Aweber, etc.

2. A quick way to create a compatible child theme for GeneratePress so I don’t lose customizations when GP gets updated.

3. Support for Advanced Custom Fields. This is one of the most complicated processes for me — I really struggle with designing my sites so that custom fields can be displayed. I can create them just fine. Displaying them? I run into major mental blocks here. Would love to finally feel I can get over that hump.

Keep up the great work, Tom.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Glad you’re enjoying the theme!

There is a blank starter child theme you can find here: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-child-theme/

As for ACF – what exact could the theme provide in terms of support?

Thanks for the suggestions πŸ™‚

brandonhull

Thanks for the link to a blank child theme, Tom!! You’re great.

The thing I struggle with as a non-programmer is adding custom fields to be automatically displayed on certain post types, but only when I’ve added that info in the meta box for that custom field.

So maybe there’s a plugin I’m unaware of that could make all of this simple? Or maybe there’s a way GeneratePress could allow me to edit a post template more easily than any other theme?

Not sure how to make the recommendation the right way!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

When it comes to adding custom meta build using ACF, you need to use the functions they provide to get the custom post meta. Then you would add those functions into your custom page templates, or inside hooks (where you can specify conditionals): https://docs.generatepress.com/collection/hooks/

It’s definitely more advanced than just using a plugin, but usually creating custom post meta is pretty difficult – at least ACF takes care of creating the options/saving them πŸ™‚

Gary

My GP wish list would have one thing at the top: a header builder. Similar to the one in Impreza or the one in Flatsome.

Perhaps you could license one of these and integrate it. In any event it would be a premium add-on that would worth paying for.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 236 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.