[Resolved] Why does overlay menu replace main menu on mobile?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Why does overlay menu replace main menu on mobile?

Home Forums Support Why does overlay menu replace main menu on mobile?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike

Hi,
    I want to use the overlay menu to present a list of links to other relevant sites. Works fine on desktop, but why does the overlay menu INSIST on then replacing the main navigation menu on mobile?

That’s really annoying, as the overlay menu is NOT the main navigation. I would like the overlay menu to operate the same on mobile as on desktop, and not replace the primary navigation.

I must be missing something but I can’t seem to find a way round this.

Please advise.

thanks
    Mike

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

the current workaround to this is to swap the Primary for Secondary Navigation on Desktop.
    Then you will see the Secondary Mobile Menu and the Primary off canvas menu on all devices.

Mike

Hi,

thanks but swapping the menus isn’t practical – we’d lose navigation search which is an important feature. It sounds like this is a known defect (if there is a known current workaround) so when will this be fixed properly, and why does it happen? Is there any other way to resolve it please?

This issue is a real shame as it prevents using the full functionality of the theme in the mobile view, and unless I accept compromises, I can’t use the overlay menu…

Might there be any other suggestions please?

thanks,
    Mike

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Can you link me to your site so i can see the current setup and what ‘options’ there may be.

NB: Nav search it is possible to move it to the secondary nav:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/navigation-search/

Mike

Hi David,

thanks. I’ll play with the change of the navigation search and see what can be achieved. However, please can you share just a bit more about the defect – it’s confusing to have to make such a considerable hack to get this thing to work. Do you have a plan to resolve it in an upcoming release of the main GeneratePress theme?

thanks,
    Mike

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

I don’t think defect or workarounds/hack are the correct terms.

The Off Canvas was an upgrade to the original slide out navigation. Which was created as a replacement to the traditional drop down mobile menu. With its own menu location its handy for consolidating multiple navs into a single hamburger on mobile.

In addition we added some extra hooks and widget areas to it, plus responsive controls for where it is to display. As traditionally the slide out replaced the mobile menu we had to maintain backwards compatibility.

Since all those changes we have looked at other ways of using the Off Canvas – and there have been a few user requests for it to do other things. We took some of that onboard when we designed Niche that has a different use of the Off Canvas for the Shop on Desktop to what it does for the rest of the site in mobile. https://gpsites.co/niche/shop/

Niche uses an alternative method where Off Canvas Widgets are used to display woo filters ( could be another nav or custom html ) as well as a Navigation. And it uses some CSS to show one thing for desktop and possibly both things on mobile.

All in all we built something that is more flexible then its original intentions which has lead to some users finding ‘gaps’ in its out of the box functions. The latter of course we will be considering within future updates. And this is where we love feedback like this.

Mike

Thanks David, I really appreciate the context and your help! I’ll see what I can come up with considering the recommendations you’ve made.

Thanks
    Mike

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.