[Resolved] Use both WP CSS editors simultaneously?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Use both WP CSS editors simultaneously?

Home Forums Support Use both WP CSS editors simultaneously?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Vera

I’ve been adding more and more CSS to my GPP theme, so now I’m considering moving the rules from the editor at

Appearance > Customize > Additional CSS

to

Appearance > Editor

The customizer on the iPad (where I do most of my work) makes it frustratingly difficult to do even the simplest things, even inserting the cursor! I’ve already wasted too much time with it.

I would still like to use the customizer’s Editor for testing new rules and seeing their effects before moving them to the other editor. In some cases, I may want to leave certain rules in the customizer for a long time.

Will all this work? If YES, could it cause any problems that I should watch out for? Note that I am using a child theme for GPP, in case that matters. If it’s much preferable that I NOT use a child theme, I’d like to know while it’s less bother to switch… but only if GPP has something built in to retain all my settings and all custom CSS during updates.

Thanks!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

That’s definitely not a good way. The changes you make in there will be erased when you update the theme.

Child theme or Simple CSS is definitely the best way to go: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-css/

Vera

I may not be following…

I believe I have a child theme installed, but I don’t know if it will conflict with the Customizer Editor or be overwritten by updates to GPP.

Here is what’s in my Appearance > Editor:

/*
    Theme Name: GeneratePress child
    Version: 1.0
    Description: A child theme of GeneratePress
    Template: generatepress
    Author: Vera
    */
    /*@import url("../generatepress/style.css");*/
    /* Your awesome customization starts here */

There is no CSS in it currently.

And I just noticed that this says Version: 1.0 but I have GPP 1.5.5 installed. I might have created the child theme when I had the free version. I don’t remember.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
    Vera

If it’s commented out, isn’t it invisible?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Oh yeah it is. I missed that.

Vera

I always miss it when there’s no color highlighting.

So will the CSS in my child theme at Appearance >Edit conflict with the CSS in the Appearance > Customize >Additional CSS ?

And which CSS file takes priority (if there are competing rules)?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No, it won’t conflict. That being said, I would choose one or the other. If you’re using WP 4.9, the Appearance > Editor will have syntax highlighting, and is probably the best way to go if you have a child theme installed anyways.

Vera

In 4.9.1, the customizer also has syntax highlighting.

I was planning on only using the Customizer to test styles, then transfer them to the Editor sheet when I like the results.

Can you also tell me which style sheet takes precedence in cases of a conflict?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The child theme takes precedence over the parent theme, and the Customizer takes precedence over both of them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.