[Resolved] Theme language problem

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Theme language problem

Home Forums Support Theme language problem

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    oj

Hi,

I’m trying to change my theme’s language to Finnish, (but I want to keep admin area in English.)
    I have translated generatepress.pot file to Finnish using Poedit and uploaded fi_FI.po and fi_FI.mo to my themes “languages”- folder.
    After that I have changed one line in my wp-config.php to: define(‘WPLANG’, โ€˜fi_FIโ€™);
    Then I have emptied caches on my dashboard and reloaded my website but the language is still in English.
    Could you help to solve this problem?
    Thank You!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Interesting – can you email me the .po and .mo files to support@generatepress.com so I can try it on my end and see if I can spot the issue?

Thanks!

oj

Email has been sent to you.

Thanks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Thanks for your patience! ๐Ÿ™‚

Try changing the filenames to just “fi” instead of “fi_FI”.

You can find the entire list of names here: http://wpcentral.io/internationalization/

Hope this helps!

oj

Thanks Tom for your reply!

After changing filenames to “fi” AND changing site language to Finnish on my dashboard translation seems to work to translate some of the words on my site.
    But words like “search” and “Read more” didn’t translate at all.

Also I would like keep the admin area language in English, but now it translates to Finnish…

Thanks for your help!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, maybe this plugin will do that? https://wordpress.org/plugins/kau-boys-backend-localization/

As for the search… string – can you open up the fi.po file in Poedit, and click “Update” – I had to do that, and then the “Search…” string wasn’t translated – once you translate it and update, it should work.

As for the “Read more” – this string is set in the Blog add-on, so you can change what it says in the Customizer.

Let me know if this helps or not ๐Ÿ™‚

Joona

I’m also using GeneratePress, and creating sites mainly in Finnish. I find it very slow to work in the customizer, if it’s in Finnish, because I’m always looking for English terms, such as “Footer” or “Widgets”, instead of their rather silly translations. Having the admin consistently in English is much easier. I use Mac OS in English too, because of consistency and terminology. Also, it’s easier to find help online, when you don’t have to translate the words before searching. I would like to have the option of using GeneratePress admin in English, regardless of site language. It would be better to have this option within GeneratePress, because a third party plugin will most probably not have the option to select translations for theme settings or plugins separately. Content administrators (editors) usually like to work in their native language (in my case, Finnish), but the developers tend to prefer English. I know a lot of Finnish WordPress developers, and they all like to work in English.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Interesting problem!

I have no idea if this plugin still works, but it’s the only one I could find with some research: https://wordpress.org/plugins/admin-in-english/

Let me know ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.