[Support request] the latest update with elements messed my whole site up

Home Forums Support [Support request] the latest update with elements messed my whole site up

Home Forums Support the latest update with elements messed my whole site up

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jessica

My site was built before this last update, which includes the new “Elements” section BUT all my old pages and posts are still showing the “layout” section on it so I am able to, all on the same page, set m y page header settings.

Now, for any NEW posts, I. have to go into Elements, create a header, then go back to my post and nothing looks the same and I have spent way more time on my new posts adjusting the settings so the page headers look the same.

How do I go back? And do I have to go and create 45 new page headers in the “elements” section for every single blog post in order for them to show up the way I previously had them?

I was not prepared for this and it’s making me rethink recoding my entire site which I don’t have time for either. It’s a cool feature for someone getting started with a brand new site but for those of us with existing sites, I have pages and posts that show totally different settings and between then ew Elements and the “Legacy Headers” I have no idea which buttons I am to click and nothing is showing up correctly.

Can I go back to the previous version of GP and have my site running the way it used to? I simply do not have any time to go and re-create 45-50 new new page headers (since every blog post has a different featured image and every page has a different featured image). the time to do this and go back and forth will not be worth it and I will fall WAY further behind than I already am.

What do I do if I want the old method back that was working for me?

I am not using sections as I custom coded a majority of these pages but it’s the increasing number of blog posts that are going to kill me (time wise) and I wonder if there’s something. I’m missing. It seems this new change made the process more time consuming as opposed to less time consuming.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Jessica,

I’m not sure I understand 100%, but you don’t need to activate the Elements module. Simply keep it deactivated in “Appearance > GeneratePress”, and you won’t have to use it. It’s actually deactivated by default, so the update itself wouldn’t have changed anything unless you activated it.

Even then, activating Elements wouldn’t change anything – nothing changed within the Page Header module, which would still be active as long as you didn’t deactivate it.

The old way of doing things (Page Headers) will continue to work as they do now.

Let me know 🙂

Jessica

ah! okay I’ll disable Elements and see if that does it. Thanks for the quick response 🙂

Jessica

Actually, I disabled “elements” and nothing changed. An older blog post shows a meta box area that is the old way to add a page header. But a newly created blog post does not show this “page header” meta box. I only have the layout meta box which is asking me to create a header and there’s a “Page Headers” sidebar option.

So the old way isn’t coming back.

Jessica

Here is an image/screenshot of what I see on only the older posts I created before the update. New posts do not show this anymore.

This meta box is actually ON the page where I am creating the blog post and I don’t have to go anywhere to create or edit this – except on new. posts

page header meta box on old blog post back ends

Jessica

It appears that no matter what I have enabled or disabled, I am forced to create headers in the left side section called “Page Headers” and “Elements is disabled.

To be sure I”m clear, is this a new feature for this version and regardless of Elements being enabled, it’s the only way to create headers now? Is there a way to create them the old way on the actual “create post page”?

Jessica

It seems with the testing I just did that there’s no way around having to generate page headers using that module and then go into every single new blog post to apply the unique page header. Since blog posts all have their own featured image and I was able to easily and quickly create them based on the featured image from within the post creation page, I’m not sure how to get around this unless I can go back to the older version of GP, not just the premium plugin.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah, you must have been using a very old version. Page Headers changed to a custom post type in GPP 1.4 which was released in August of 2017.

You can force the old Page Header metabox to come back using this function: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/generate_page_header_legacy_metabox/

Jessica

I did create this a while ago but have been keeping up to date and make sure to update each time. It’s only now that I am seeing this happen

Thanks for the function. I’ll try that and fingers crossed it will work! Thanks.

Jessica

Looks like that worked! Awesome!

Can I disable something that will remove the “Pahe Headers” area in the left backend sidebar? Or is that inheeent to the new version? I’m just trying to lighten the load and only have what I need.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You could try this function:

add_action( 'after_setup_theme', function() {
        remove_action( 'init', 'generate_page_header_post_type', 15 );
    } );

Let me know 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.