[Resolved] Style for custom widget

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Style for custom widget

Home Forums Support Style for custom widget

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jeroen

Hi there,

I wanted to customize my website with an extra section for recent posts or an email form but the available widget areas were limited. So I’ve used a hook (in elements) to paste a widget shortcode in the right place (I’ve used the plugin “wordpress widgets” for this).
    The problem is, this new widget doesn’t show up in appearance > customize. I guess I could apply some css classes and some code in the hook element to tweak fonts, sizes, background, width… but I’m not a programmer so the best I could do would be creatively cutting and pasting code which could easily lead to problems. Is there a way to include the new widget in the customizer? Or another easy way around this?

Thank you very much for your ideas,
    Jeroen

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

unfortunately each widget or plugin shortcode would require its own specific code to ‘style it’ – so no simple way to add customizer controls for them.

What elements are you having difficulty with ?

Jeroen

Thank you David.

I’m trying to set the width for the widget content to max. 1200px and change the background color.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Try something like this:

#wpsp_widget-5 {
        max-width: 1200px;
        margin: auto;
        background-color: #000000;
    }
    Jeroen

Thanks! I’ve added this to style.css as I assume that is where it needs to go, but I can’t seem to find the right code to “call” for this.
    I’ve tried things like

or class=”wpsp_widget-5″ before the widget shortcode, but it seems I can’t get it right. I think I need to do some css training ๐Ÿ™‚ but if you can help me out with this one it’ll be very appreciated!
    David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Lets make this a little easier. For WP Show Posts you don’t need the Widget shortcode. So you can remove that.

Edit your WP Show Post list – in the right hand side bar it provides you with a shortcode ๐Ÿ™‚

In your Hook do this:

<div class="grid-container">

PUT YOUR SHORTCODE HERE

</div>

the grid-container class is what the theme uses to set the width of the site. So no CSS needed int this case

Jeroen

Hi David, Thanks, this works great.
    I’ve finally used a mailchimp shortcode.
    One last thing, I’m still wrestling with the background color. I’ve defined a css style (.customwidget) because I plan to put some more things in there, but it’s not working. This is the mailchimp form code:

div class=”customwidget” (I deleted the rest because it’s not displaying)

and then I’ve put the following in style.css (is this the correct file? there is also a style.min.css among others):

.customwidget {
    background-color: #000000;
    }

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

If you want a full width background color then you would do this:

<div class="custom-container">
        <div class="grid-container">

PUT YOUR SHORTCODE HERE

</div>
    </div>

Then you can style your custom container with this CSS:

.custom-container {
        padding: 40px;
        background-color: #ccc;
    }

CSS you can add to the Customizer > Additional CSS.
    DO NOT add any to the Parent Themes styles.css as it will get overwritten when the theme updates.

Jeroen

Good morning David!
    Thank you very much, works like a charm.
    This is great, now I know how to customize any element on the website with custom css!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Glad to be of help

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.