Sticky Posts from page 2 and on

Home Forums Support Sticky Posts from page 2 and on

Home Forums Support Sticky Posts from page 2 and on

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Garth Dryland

Hi Tom

Thanks for yours comments on the other topics. Looking forward to the new menu plus feature coming soon.

I came across an issue today and I’m not sure if its WordPress core related or GP but whatever its origin its something you may want to look at introducing as a fix for if its possible.

Today I updated an old blog post and set it to sticky to show info about the latest changes. It’s a typical post with Site Updates as the title for a log of a sort you could say with past changes listed by date.

What I discovered was if the post originates from page two or on, the sticky post still appears on page two or what ever page it came from however if the post originates on page one the post vanishes from the visible blog posts. In my view a sticky post should only display as the sticky post, not twice in the blog for any reason.

Changing the number of posts per page shows me its related to whether a post is on page one or not and if it is and it’s a sticky, it disappears and only displays as a sticky however if it’s a sticky and from page 2 or on it remains visible on that page as well as a sticky on page one and this happens regardless of whether you use a standard blog, columns or masonry options.

This seems like a bizarre function that’s worth fixing if possible. I can’t see any reason a sticky post should appear twice in a blog, in fact it could potentially hurt SEO if its determined as duplicate content by search engines.

Interested to know what you think and if anything could be done to make sure a sticky post only shows as a sticky post and not elsewhere in the blog on another page at the same time.

Cheers

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

I believe this is just standard WordPress functionality.

You may want to ask over on http://wordpress.stackexchange.com to see if anyone has a fix/any ideas on it.

Garth Dryland

Ok Tom

I’ll go and ask there. If I find a fix for this I’ll post it here.

Thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thanks!

Garth Dryland

Hey Tom

As promised here’s the feedback to date.

Maybe you can do something with this untested code to improve or include ?

http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/225015/sticky-post-from-page-2-and-on#new-answer

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It’s not something that can be included in GeneratePress – WordPress.org is very picky about keeping core WordPress functionality intact within the themes hosted in the directory.

However, you can easily add that code to your site and see if it works 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.