[Support request] Some Thoughts Regarding Speed and UX

Home Forums Support [Support request] Some Thoughts Regarding Speed and UX

Home Forums Support Some Thoughts Regarding Speed and UX

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Burt

Happy New Year Tom and gang –

I’ve just wanted to say again, how happy I am with the speed of your framework since the 2.x rewrite. Not having the Jquery library and rewriting everything in vanilla javascript ( inlining CSS ) etc makes Generate press almost on par with some of the newer technical stacks.

Now that we are in a mobile world, site speed – or more precisely the rendering of the page above the fold and the UX are one of the more important factors in SEO and user experience other than links / and RankBrain

I recently realized that in the Typography section that you have system fonts as an option.

This is sort of back to the future option but makes a nice difference in page loads if one is using system fonts instead of many Google fonts. I would highly recommend using them if not on the desktop version but at least on the mobile version.

My goal on some of the key pages is not to every have Jquery load – which is difficult if you are working with WordPress and most of the plugins.

I’ve been combing through GitHub looking for lightweight vanilla javascript plugins for sliders and carousels to replace some of the WordPress jQuery standards.

I was also looking to implement a non-jQuery Lazyload.

This got me thinking, why not add some of this into the Pro Plugin to really make Generatepress a speed demon?

Again, I can’t tell you how excited I am about your framework – even to the point of rewriting older sites.

Thank you again

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hey Burt,

Really glad you like the update! I’m really happy with it as well, especially the system fonts – they make a big difference to the page size.

Things like sliders and lazy load are typically plugin territory – it’s important not to bloat the theme with too many features that not everyone will need.

Also, some features should stay in plugins so you don’t lose them if you ever switch themes. Sliders and other content creating plugins fall into that category.

Really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions! Keep em coming 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.