[Support request] Slideout Widgets content gone ( after update I think)

Home Forums Support [Support request] Slideout Widgets content gone ( after update I think)

Home Forums Support Slideout Widgets content gone ( after update I think)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Vee

Hi!
    Before i get to main pressing issue an updates issue I have noticed: it seems that after each update (theme not plugin) I have to reset my navigations. EG: my main navigation menu in slideout becomes unchecked, and reset to primary (which I am not using so it simply disappears from my mobile slideout). I’ve had to reset it at lease once before, and this last time. Am I the only one this is happening to? seems odd.

Main issue:
    my widgets in the slideout seem to have disappeared. Or rather, the content of one is not displaying, and the other has traveled to somewhere else completely, and here is the odd part… to the desktop version! I have slideout set to display only on mobile.

the widgets are:
    – 1 custom HTML: not displaying its content, a list with a linkwrap. However, if I add a title to it the title does appear, though in the same color as the background.
    – 1 special icon navigation menu:
    this is the one that that seems to have grown feet and walked to the desktop version. It floats over top of my pages in approximately the place it was previously, relative to where it would be *if* the slideout were set to desktop or on.

I realize this is very possibly due to my custom CSS… styled it to display correctly before on mobile, but now I am not sure how to to fix it, or if is related to any changes from the CSS cleanup in the new version…. Help?
    Posting my CSS targeting slideout below.

Complication:
    In the Widgets dashboard in WP, there are now TWO areas for a slideout — one called “Slideout Navigation” the other called “Slide-out Navigation”… is this part of the update? and which is to be used?
    The one titled Slide-out seems to be the correct one, what is the other one for?

Thank you!

#generate-slideout-menu {
            background-color: #3e3e4f;
            padding: 5px;
            font-size: 16px;
     min-height:100%;
        	}

/***** Menu & Html Widget, Icons widget  *****/
        #generate-slideout-menu ul li a, .slideout-extra-item li {
            list-style: none;
            font-family: work sans, open sans;
            color: white; 
            text-align: right;
            padding-right: 12px;
       		}

/***** Main Menu & Html Widget  *****/
        #generate-slideout-menu .main-nav, #generate-slideout-menu .widget_text {
            border-right: 1px solid white;
            margin-right: 10%;
            float: right;
        	}

/***** Address List  *****/
        #generate-slideout-menu .widget_text a li {
            float: right;
            clear: both;
            font-size: 14px;
            line-height: 14px;
        	}

/***** Main Nav & Address & Social Widget ****/
        #generate-slideout-menu .main-nav, #generate-slideout-menu .widget {
            margin-top: 12%;
        	}

/***** Nav Widget Social  *****/
        .slideout-navigation li.widget_nav_menu {
            width: 100%;
            margin: auto;
        	}

li#nav_menu-8.widget.widget_nav_menu {
       		position:fixed;
      		bottom:0;   
        	margin-bottom: 10% ;
        	}

/***** Nav Icons *****/
        li.widget_nav_menu a {
            vertical-align: middle;
            font-size: 32px;
            text-align: center;
        	}

li.widget_nav_menu i {
           	width: 100%;
           	height: auto;
          	padding: 20%;
        	}

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

1. So after you updated the theme, your “theme location” checkbox changes in “Appearance > Menus”? The theme doesn’t have any affect on those actual checkboxes.

2. The latest version of GPP has a built-in Slideout Navigation widget area. It sounds like maybe you had added a custom slideout navigation widget area? Perhaps the code is in your functions file?

You should use the “Slideout Navigation” widget area, which is provided by GP Premium now by default.

What happens if you remove your custom CSS (copy it somewhere else just in case)?

Vee

Hi and thanks!,

1. The checkboxes on the Edit Menus tab were not checked after update, but honestly I can’t remember if they were before. Did you mean drop menus for Theme location under under Appearance > Menus > Manage Locations tab? Ok, I removed the menu from there now.
    So I should only use the widget area to add a nav menu to the slideout?
    How might I have done it before if widgets to the slideout wasn’t an option pre-update? (afraid I honestly can’t recall)

2. Aha! yes, I did add a hook from your previous versions documentation. was so long ago I thought it was built-in.
    I disabled it and moved the widgets to your built-in one and the walking over to desktop version issue seems to have stopped… however the content within the divs is still missing…..

I just tried again deleting ALL extra CSS and the issue of missing content from the widgets is still there, though the titles do show up.

[ I did yesterday try removing the CSS pertaining to slideout and nothing changed, except that a border for a div that was still showing was removed. so.. some divs were still there, but not displaying the content, as the div itself is smaller than it should be. ]

Vee

I just discovered something! Content appears when I grow the screen width. See here – https://www.useloom.com/share/1edb1f5cb83b4110856904c832ee8e3e

But I do have the Slideout Navigation set to Mobile Only in Customizer, not to desktop. Where else could something be targeting only the desktop version?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

1. You should need to use a widget area to add a menu to the Slideout, you just need to create a menu and set the Theme Location to “Slideout Menu”: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-the-wordpress-menu-builder/#setting-a-theme-location

Widgets in the Slideout Navigation should be things like text, social icons etc..

2. Can you try adding this CSS?:

.slideout-navigation .slideout-widget ul {
        display: block;
    }
    Vee

1- yeah, I believe that is how I had it selected before before the update. ( tho the UI has changed to a dropdown under Theme Locations rather than checkbox) I guess I thought the checkboxes on the Edit Menus Tab did the same thing as that in Manage Locations Tab.
    But if I understand your first reply correctly…..

….your “theme location” checkbox changes in “Appearance > Menus”? The theme doesn’t have any affect on those actual checkboxes.

….it does not?
    Anyway, I will check it again whenever the next update rolls out, and will let you know if it happens again.

2- Yes! that worked! so simple
    I will reinstate prior CSS too now and see what happens.

Thank you so much!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The theme definitely shouldn’t affect those settings, as they’re 100% handled by core. Let me know if you notice it again.

Glad I could help 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.