[Support request] Shoopping cart and search near to logo

Home Forums Support [Support request] Shoopping cart and search near to logo

Home Forums Support Shoopping cart and search near to logo

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Daniele

Hello guys,
    I would like to show shopping cart and search icons near to logo, like this website:
    https://www.thedressingscreen.com/

How can I achieve this result?

thanks!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

hmmm…. my approach would be this:

1. Create a new menu, don’t add any menu items and assign it to your primary navigation. This way it can display just the search and cart.
    2. Then create the full menu and add that to the Secondary Nav and Off Canvas Panel ( For mobile ).
    2.1 The secondary nav can be set to Below Header and we can remove it with some CSS on mobile.
    3. For your Primary Nav set it to Float right, so its in the same container as the Logo.

If you can set that up and share us a link i can then figure out the CSS for the layout.

Daniele

Hi David,
    thanks for your answer, do you think is more elegant this solution or modify any template?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Its not the most elegant way to do it – but it is the simplest way.
    All other ways would probably require plugins and custom development.

Let us know.

Daniele

Hi David,
    maybe I found a solution,
    line 471 functions.php of gp-premium plugin

function generatepress_wc_menu_cart( $nav, $args ) {
    // If our primary menu is set, add the search icon
    if ( $args->theme_location == apply_filters( ‘generate_woocommerce_menu_item_location’, ‘secondary’ ) && generatepress_wc_get_setting( ‘cart_menu_item’ ) ) {
    $has_items = false;

I substituted ‘primary’ with ‘secondary’

then with CSS:
    #secondary-navigation {
    position: absolute;
    top: 50px;
    right: 50px;
    }

So I obtain this:
    header

Is this solution a sh**? πŸ˜€ sorry I’m a php noob

If it works can you give me a hint to place a filter in functions.php child theme? So I can update GP-premium without loosing edits

thanks!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Pretty good snooping for a PHP Noob πŸ™‚

You can use this PHP Filter snippet to move the Cart to the Secondary Navigation:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/generate_woocommerce_menu_item_location/

And you can even move the search to it:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/navigation-search/#use-navigation-search-in-secondary-navigation

Might require some messing around on Mobile though

Daniele

Thanks mate!
    Yes effectively with this solution I lose the cart in mobile near the logo πŸ™

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Yeah something we are looking at is to make it easier to move these menu items around.
    It is possible with the wp_is_mobile() function to only move it on desktop …. but i wouldn’t rely on that function for something as important as the menu cart.

Based on the example design – the method i proposed above is one of the simplest solution. Is there any issues with using the Primary nav solely for the icons ?

Daniele

Yes I think I will go with the solution provided by you, in the meanwhile there are no better way to do it.
    thanks!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Yeah sorry about that – i am still looking at options.
    If you want to achieve the example design of search | logo | cart – then i am more than happy to help with the CSS

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.