[Resolved] Search modal

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Search modal

Home Forums Support Search modal

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    George

I am looking to incorporate a login modal like this one here.

Is it possible to give me some pointers?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
    George

HI Leo.

Sorry my mistake here! I meant a SEARCH modal like the page I showed you where the modal actually displays the search input field! My bad because I mistyped it even though the example I sent clearly is a modal search box. The examples you gave me deal with content or login modals. I guess what I am after is some kind of javascript that will load a modal overlay with a search box inside.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Currently this would require a decent amount of coding. It is something I’d like to add as an option soon though πŸ™‚

George

Ok fair enough.

Is there a way to change the default search overlay color? Currently it seems to be taking the color of the menu item mouse over. Could I change that? Also, is there a way to have some text (where the blinking cursor is after you click on the magnifying glass) that says something like “Search for…”.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

For the color, you can do this:

.navigation-search input[type="search"]:focus,
    .navigation-search input[type="search"] {
        background-color: #222;
        color: #fff;
    }

As for the placeholder text, this function should do it:

add_filter( 'generate_navigation_search_output', 'tu_navigation_search_placeholder' );
    function tu_navigation_search_placeholder() {
    	printf( 
    		'<form method="get" class="search-form navigation-search" action="%1$s">
    			<input type="search" placeholder="Enter your search" class="search-field" value="%2$s" name="s" title="%3$s" />
    		</form>',
    		esc_url( home_url( '/' ) ),
    		esc_attr( get_search_query() ),
    		esc_attr_x( 'Search', 'label', 'generatepress' )
    	);
    }
    George

Beautiful. Thanks Tom!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You’re welcome πŸ™‚

George

Hi Tom, sorry for getting back to it. I noticed a couple of things:

Even though the font color has been set to white (#FFF) the actual placeholder text on the page looks kind of grey. I tried changing with CSS but it didn’t work.

Also when I click on the search icon and then click away from it outside the browser window, the search field background defaults to the menu hover color again.

Is there a fix for those?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

I just edited the CSS above to fix the clicking away issue.

For the placeholder color, try this:

.navigation-search input::-webkit-input-placeholder { /* Chrome/Opera/Safari */
    }

.navigation-search input::-moz-placeholder { /* Firefox 19+ */
    }

.navigation-search input:-ms-input-placeholder { /* IE 10+ */
    }

.navigation-search input:-moz-placeholder { /* Firefox 18- */
    }
    George

Thanks for taking the time to do that, Tom, Firefox needed an extra style opacity:1;. I couldn’t say for Internet Explorer 11 though because placeholder text wasn’t even visible. It is actually momentarily visible when you click out of the search box and then it’s blank again! I also checked compatibility mode. I looked online but couldn’t find a working solution. If you can’t think of something, I am happy to let it slide as I don’t consider it so important.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That’s strange – like the text color goes transparent? I’m not 100% sure why that would happen, but IE11 definitely isn’t an amazing browser.

George

I don’t think it goes transparent, I think it’s just not there but gets momentarily visible when clicked out. Anyway, I think we all share the same opinions as far as Internet Explorer goes so I will not go any further with this!

Thanks again Tom!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem! πŸ™‚

Joel

Hello, just wondering if this has been added as an option yet? – https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/search-modal/#post-495843

Or if not whether there is any documentation I can follow? I like the way it’s been implemented here.

Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.