[Resolved] Responsive Featured Image

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Responsive Featured Image

Home Forums Support Responsive Featured Image

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tanya

Hi,

I have set Featured Images on each page of my website.
    I’d like to ensure these images are responsive.

Here is the code I’m using for some other images on the website. Where would I place similar code for the featured image? Thank you
    <picture>
    <source media=”(min-width: 900px)” srcset=[122 size=large]>
    <source media=”(min-width: 465px)” srcset=[122 size=medium_large]>
    [114]
    </picture>

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Tanya,

WordPress featured images should be responsive by default – they use srcset. Is that not happening on your site?

Let me know ๐Ÿ™‚

Tanya

Hi Tom,
    I am looking at Chrome Developer Tools – Network view.
    Dev tools view

The top picture was taken when running in full screen mode. As you can see, images where I explicitly use srcset (in yellow) use large size (1024 width) and size in KB is reflected as large. See img_GM_11 (in red). This is the featured image. It is 696KB.

The bottom picture was taken when running within Iphone7 emulation. Images in yellow are smaller size, but image in red “img_GM_11” my header is still 696 KB.

I would expect the browser choosing a smaller version of the featured image for iPhone7.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It absolutely should. Is it possible that Developer Tools is simply picking up the image, even though the browser will use the smaller image on mobile etc..? Perhaps this will help?: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30900173/is-it-possible-to-see-which-srcset-image-a-browser-is-using-with-browser-develop

I also suggest using a tool like Optimizilla (http://optimizilla.com/) which should reduce that file size a lot.

Tanya

Thanks Tom.

Optimizilla is an awesome suggestion. I was able to significantly shrink header image sizes without loosing in quality.

Thanks!

Tanya

resolving the topic

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad I could help! ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.