[Resolved] recaptcha issues with ithemes and where do I put the snippets?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] recaptcha issues with ithemes and where do I put the snippets?

Home Forums Support recaptcha issues with ithemes and where do I put the snippets?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Cathy Koperek

Hey ho GP,

I have iThemes Security Pro installed, and am configuring the settings for my two sites. No problems with the first site.

The second site, eh. Understanding this is an iThemes issue (and their help desk is not open until tomorrow morning), I was wondering if you had ever run into this before. I’ve copied the site key and the private/secret key from the google registration page. Yup, copied to the correct field – did not mix them up ;p

This is the message I get on my iThemes Security page: The reCAPTCHA settings for iThemes Security are invalid. The Site Key may be invalid or unrecognized. Verify that you input the Site Key and Private Key correctly. Bots will not be blocked until the reCAPTCHA settings are set properly.

Any ideas on what I did wrong? As we speak, the number of “new registrants” is creeping up to 100, and the site is not even technically live. The bots, they be busy.

Snippet question: Where the hell do I put that? The instructions on the recaptcha page is obviously written for those folks who know what they’re doing. https://www.google.com/recaptcha/admin#site/337568192?setup

The iThemes settings only ask for the site key and the private key. No mention of the snippets.

On one site, I want to use it for a download/email sign-up. I use optinmonster, and they do not have a recaptcha feature.

On the other site, I want to use it for the comments section, and am using the wp default. I’m betting most comment plugins have recaptcha built in?

On the recaptcha sign-up page, it asks for the specific page I’m using it on. How do you indicate you want it in the comments section of each post? Or, in just one section of most page on the other site?

The iThemes products are great, as is their customer service. The answer they provided earlier today about how to stop the bots was to force the recaptcha for registration. That should work, if I could get the keys to work. They just don’t stay up all night answering dweeb questions, like you guys.

Sorry if I’m sounding pi$$y. It’s been a long day grappling with this, and I’ve accomplished nothing I set out to do because of it. (end of whining emoticon)

Cathy

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Cathy,

That’s strange – I’m actually using the invisible reCaptcha setting in iThemes Security here on this website with no issue.

Maybe you’re trying to add a regular reCaptcha key into the invisible reCaptcha field?

I believe the plugin has options for where to place the reCaptcha functionality, including comments, registration etc.. I’m not sure about custom things like downloads/sign up forms. That question might be better suited for iThemes.

Sorry if this isn’t helpful! It’s the only thing I could think of.

Maybe try creating a fresh key for the second site?

Cathy Koperek

Thanks Tom.

I did register separate keys for each site, and I’m not using invisible. Not sure what’s happening, either, just hoping none of these pests can get in while I’m trying to fix it. I’m up to 86 “new registers.” Hopefully the Brute Force will do the trick until I can talk with iThemes tomorrow.

Glad to know you use iThemes Security – validates what I’ve known for years about the company. I used their themes before I switched to GP. Gotta say yours is much easier to use for us dweebs. Nothing but respect for the iThemes folks. Between Backup Buddy and Security, I do feel like they’ve got my back.

As do you! Ok, complete waste of a day (other than the learning factor). Time for wine instead of whine…

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You can always try another reCaptcha plugin for now until you hear back – might help a little.

Hope you enjoyed your evening πŸ™‚

Cathy Koperek

Thank you – evening went well. πŸ˜‰

Ok, heard back from iThemes…

Support guy said that sometimes the keys do invalidate, and that I could regenerate a new one.

I asked him how to regenerate/create a new key, but he’s gone home for the day.

So, I ask you, dear guru – how do I create a new key? Do I delete it (pop-up says “Are you sure you want to permanently delete this site? It can’t be undone.”)? then start the registration over again?

Sorry to drag you into this, but figured you’ve either answered this question before, or some other dweeb will be asking you soon :p

cathy

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Is that what Google says on their site? If so, then that should be fine. I think you can generate an unlimited amount of keys, so you might not even need to delete the old one right away until you get a new one working.

Cathy Koperek

Yup – was able to generate a new api key, and it’s working now. Yet another learning curve.

Thanks again for all you do, Tom!

Have a great weekend…

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad you got it working! You too πŸ™‚

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.