[Support request] No clue how to use this product

Home Forums Support [Support request] No clue how to use this product

Home Forums Support No clue how to use this product

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Irma

I have installed the GP theme on my established website, but I am stumped about what to do next. Is there no beginner videos anywhere for how to get up and running with this? I am not a coder, so please no “technical” help.

I have an opt in box in my header that is now cut off on the right side due to changing themes. I have no idea how to center it with this theme. Nothing is where it was in my old theme.

I have Thrive Architect to build landing pages, so can I use that to move things around? Seriously, why is there no “getting started” videos with some help for newbies?

I also want to know how to add an announcement bar (like the Hello bar) into the very top area of my website.

Help??
    fearless

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

It’s hard to create getting started videos as everyone has different styles of websites in mind.

Our documentation page is the best place to start learning about the theme and the premium plugin:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/

Can you link me to the site that’s using GP so I can see the problem?

As for announcement bar, you can use the top bar widget area:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/top-bar-widget-area/

Let me know πŸ™‚

Irma

Hello,

I put my old theme back on because I did not want to leave it like that.

You say use the top widget area: How? How do I access this?

What I have is a new skin on my website. I have used Thrive Architect to build a landing page, so I know what building pages should look like. I do not have that.

When I go to Appearance > Customize I can access my Home page, but there are no containers. I click on my opt in box and I am taken to the widget itself. I cannot move anything associated with this box.

How do I apply the supposed awesomeness that is GP with my current website? What is the first step to merging GP into what I already have???

Irma

On a side note: most of the documentation is way over my head. I do not code, so anything related to css is out of my depth.

It would help if you had some information for beginners, especially those coming from a free theme on a beginner website.

Something like: if you have a new website, read this. If you have an established website, read this. If you are new to themes like this, these are your choices to create pages/posts. Simplest way to get started is this, etc.

My last theme required about 7 plugins to be able to use the various functions. Is there a way to use Thrive to build my home page? I understand about half of how to use it to create pages.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Irma,

Thanks for the feedback – I agree that some beginner documentation would be useful. I’ll see what I can do there.

We are here if you need help – we just need to what exactly to look for/what the issue is and we’ll do our best. In my experience, it’s best to go through one issue at a time. For example, your opt-in in your header being cut off. Let’s work on fixing that, and then we can move onto the next issue you’re having and so on.

Thrive should behave the same in GP, unless your last theme had Thrive-specific features/plugins that extended it.

Right now your opt-in is in the Header Widget – is that where you want it to be? If so, you’ll need to add a little CSS to make room for it (we’ll provide the CSS, so you only need to copy/paste). If not, where do you want it to display?

Irma

Hello Tom and thank you for a prompt response,

Yes, I want the opt in in the header. I also want to put an announcement bar right above it.

Irma

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

So right now, the header widget has a maximum width of 50% of the header, which is why it’s being cut off.

To prevent that, let’s add this CSS:

.header-widget {
        max-width: none;
    }

Adding CSS: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-css/

How will you be designing your announcement bar? In Thrive?

Irma

Woo Hoo that worked. Yay.

Okay, I installed the Catalyst site, but I want to remove it. How do I do that?

Thank you

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
    Irma

Thanks Leo,

I installed the site and instantly wanted to remove it, so I did not do anything else. There is nothing else to remove.

Is there no “deactivate” button for it? How do I get back the original site?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

So you don’t have any existing posts or pages you want to keep?

If so you can just use this plugin:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-reset/

Let me know πŸ™‚

Irma

Hi Leo,

No, I have a website full of posts. But adding the site did not add anything to my website that would now need to be removed. Or are we talking about the same thing?

As well, I have a resource library for subscribers that I cannot access. When I put in the password I get “Method Not Allowed” as an error message. Do you know how to fix that?

Irma

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

As of right now, it’s no possible to “undo” an imported site (we’re working on that).

If you imported the site on top of your existing content, you’ll need to manually remove the elements that were imported. Luckily, Catalyst is a lightweight site, so there isn’t much you need to do.

I would start by:

1. Going to “Appearance > Elements” and deleting those elements that were imported.
    2. You can also reset your GP customizer options in “Appearance > GeneratePress”. Only do this if you want to start from scratch using the standard GP options.

When using the Site Library, it’s always best to start with a fresh site. This video should help explain why: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-the-site-library/

Where is this Resource Library coming from? Is it a plugin you’re using?

Irma

Hi hi,

I went to appearance > elements but it is empty. Nothing to delete.

I would like to clear the slate and start fresh. If I go through the appearance > Generate Press, it will only reset options related to the theme correct? I do not want to delete my site or any of my content.

My resource library is a page on my website that is password protected. The main reason I decided to get a new theme is because I and my subscribers have been locked out of the library since I updated my old theme about 3 weeks ago. A couple of days later, I updated PHP.

I noticed a few days later that I could not access the library, so I asked my hosting support to check it out but they said it was theme related. I did not get an answer from my theme creator when I emailed about it. GP was recommended to me a few months ago, so I opted to switch. I was hoping the switch would fix the library, but no such luck.

Irma

Do you think the Method Not Allowed error is theme related?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.