[Support request] No clue how to use this product

Home Forums Support [Support request] No clue how to use this product

Home Forums Support No clue how to use this product

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Did you import the demo content when importing Catalyst?

The resource library issue doesn’t sound like theme related at all – that’s generally what the hosting company say when they don’t know what’s causing it.

You can test by temporarily activating a WordPress default twenty series themes.

Let me know 🙂

Jeff

Irma,

I hope this will reduce your frustration a little. When I first purchased GP premium, I didn’t use it for the first year because I was ten times more lost than how you describe yourself. I had never created a single website or made even a single blog post in my life so you can only imagine how lost I must have been.

Wordpress isn’t as simple or easy to learn as everyone says. Sure, it’s easy once you’ve learned how to use it but until then it takes time and practice to learn.

Also, a few things you should know is that every theme works a little differently and they also use different terms to name things so it can get confusing quickly. For example one theme might use a plugin to handle a certain feature and a different theme might use a widget to handle that same feature and yet another theme might have that exact same feature built into the theme so you don’t use a widget or plugin for that feature. And some themes allow you to accomplish something in more than one way which makes it even more confusing.

If your goal is to become proficient at using wordpress, meaning you could clone any website design to the pixel using WordPress with no help or issues, the best approach to take is to NEVER EVER switch themes ever and to resist the temptation to try out new themes. Mastering one theme inside and out, is the fastest, least frustrating, and most productive/profitable way to become a wordpress designer/developer/builder/blogger/etc.

Every time you decide to try a new theme, you get further away from mastering wordpress because you have to spend more time learning the basics again.

Sticking with one theme forever is a huge investment so you obviously want to select a theme that is worthy of your time investment. GeneratePress is a great theme to invest in, but to understand why it’s great only comes with time and experience. The more you learn the more you begin to understand and recognize the benefits of this theme, but as a beginner, it’s impossible to recognize and understand these nuances and why GP is such a good theme. I’m still a beginner but every few days I get blown away by something new I realize about this theme.

There are other themes out there that are easier to learn initially but they are probably going to be more bloated and slow and have less features and capabilities. I’ve tried almost all the popular theme frameworks like Studiopress Genesis, Mythemeshop, Elegant Themes, Woothemes, and several others but after trying all these themes, now that I’ve realized and decided to stick with one theme, it was an easy decision for me to want to stick with GP because of all the various reasons.

With themes, like most other things, there is no single theme that is the best in every aspect, there is always a trade off. You can’t have the fastest theme in the world and also have the most features because features add weight and reduce theme speed.

A good way to describe why GP is so good is that it is just a well balanced theme that prioritizes all the right things that in my opinion, matter the most. Things like site speed, less bloated, easy to learn after the initial hump, awesome support, turnkey site designs, not expensive, and lots of control of the design details.

This probably doesn’t help you that much…but just my two cents on why GP is a great theme. If you stick with this theme, you will learn it faster than you think.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Wow, great post, Jeff! You made my morning. Thank you so much for sharing your experience 🙂

Irma –

I would like to clear the slate and start fresh. If I go through the appearance > Generate Press, it will only reset options related to the theme correct? I do not want to delete my site or any of my content.

Resetting the settings in “Appearance > GeneratePress” will remove your Customizer settings (the GP settings). It will not remove content.

My resource library is a page on my website that is password protected. The main reason I decided to get a new theme is because I and my subscribers have been locked out of the library since I updated my old theme about 3 weeks ago. A couple of days later, I updated PHP.

I noticed a few days later that I could not access the library, so I asked my hosting support to check it out but they said it was theme related. I did not get an answer from my theme creator when I emailed about it. GP was recommended to me a few months ago, so I opted to switch. I was hoping the switch would fix the library, but no such luck.

How did you build the resource library initially? Were you using a plugin? Did your old theme have a resource library option?

Irma

Resetting the settings in “Appearance > GeneratePress” will remove your Customizer settings (the GP settings). It will not remove content.

Was I supposed to do something else because now when I go to customize I do not see my website, but just a huge page full of text:

Notice: Trying to get property ‘post_title’ of non-object in /var/www/volumes/xvdm/vhosts/fearlessaffiliate.com/httpdocs/wp-includes/nav-menu.php on line 825 Notice: Trying to get property ‘ID’ of non-object in /var/www/volumes/xvdm/vhosts/fearlessaffiliate.com/httpdocs/wp-includes/nav-menu.php on line 825 Notice: Trying to get property ‘ID’ of non-object in /var/www/volumes/xvdm/vhosts/fearlessaffiliate.com/httpdocs/wp-includes/nav-menu.php on line 829 Notice: Trying to get property ‘post_title’ of non-object in /var/www/volumes/xvdm/vhosts/fearlessaffiliate.com/httpdocs/wp-includes/nav-menu.php on line 825 Notice: Trying to get property ‘ID’ of non-object in

For the library, I created a password protected page in WordPress. The options for making a page password protected is there. No plugin. I created it when I still used a free theme from WP, and it worked when I used my other paid theme as well.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, those notices are pointing to a core WordPress file.

I dug into the core code, and that line refers to items that are in the trash. Does your menu have pages that are in your trash? If so, are you able to remove those menu items in “Appearance > Menus”.

If you’re unable to access anything, you should ask your hosting to disable WP_DEBUG: https://codex.wordpress.org/WP_DEBUG

That will prevent the notices from displaying.

For the library, I created a password protected page in WordPress. The options for making a page password protected is there. No plugin. I created it when I still used a free theme from WP, and it worked when I used my other paid theme as well.

Password-protecting pages is a core WordPress feature that will work in any theme.

When I go to the password-protected page, I see this, which is good: https://screencast.com/t/irz9IqrA

Does the issue happen once you enter the password?

Irma

The item in the trash was a page that I created with thrive that was discarded. I have permanently deleted it. However, the page of code is still there.

The library problem is:
    When people, including myself, try to access the library, they get the “Method Not Allowed” page.

I have had my hosting trying to fix it all weekend. They changed the password and it worked, but when I tried to change it to my usual password, it no longer worked. We are at the point of that screenshot now. Input the password and nothing happens…no error message; the page stays the same and still no access.

The library is password protected because it is a funnel. I have opt ins all over my website, many of them. If subscribers cannot access the exclusive free content, it defeats the purpose of having it on my site.

Ideas?

Irma

Will it help if I go back to a free theme, delete all the GP stuff, clean the pc and restart, and then install GP again?

This all started because of no access to the library and support telling me that it was a theme issue.

I was going to purchase GP anyway, but when I had more time to deal with the changeover.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

it looks like your back to the basic theme setup – which is good.
    Content looks to be all in place and ok.

I think it may be best to start off with a checklist of things you want to accomplish and we can then walk through them one by one.

Irma

Hi David,

I still have no access to the features when trying to customize. It is still the wall of text.

Things I want to do with my website:
    1. Create an announcement bar at the top of the website that can be changed out when I have special pricing for products.

2. Move that top menu (with the policies in it) to the footer where it is supposed to be, as well as in the sidebar. A bunch of the footer ads are now in random places in the sidebar.

3. At some point I want a static homepage. I am creating funnels now and I want to showcase them on my home page.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I still have no access to the features when trying to customize. It is still the wall of text.

Are the errors the same as before? If so, did you ask your hosting to disable WP_DEBUG like I mentioned above?

“Method Not Allowed” isn’t an error in GeneratePress or GP Premium, so going back to the free theme likely won’t make a difference.

Method Not Allowed is a server error. You can learn more about it here: https://kinsta.com/blog/405-method-not-allowed-error/#fix-405-error

Who are you hosted with? It seems strange that they aren’t able to fix it.

Irma

My hosting has been working on this for a day now. They think they have it fixed but it still does not work.

In the meantime, can someone help me move the nav bars around on my site and help me put my opt in forms back? Please and thank you.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Are you able to show us the live site that’s using GP so we can see the issue?

Thanks 🙂

Irma

Hello Leo,

Sure, it’s https://fearlessaffiliate.com

I want to move the green nav bar (that starts with resource library) to the bottom area of the site

I would like to widen the sidebar so everything does not look so squished. You can see that the text for my opt-in bar “join for unlimited access’ is no longer centered on the button.

And I am wondering how to merge Thrive with GP.

That will help for now. I have to publish tomorrow and I will get back to customizing later.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Sorry that link isn’t provided above isn’t using GP.

Can you double check?

Thanks a lot 🙂

Irma

I do not understand; I am currently customizing a page with my active theme which is GP.

What kind of link do you need?? Will this work? https://fearlessaffiliate.com/wp-admin/customize.php?return=%2Fwp-admin%2Fwidgets.php

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.