[Support request] Need 2nd Nav location = "Above Header," but dash offers only "Off Canvas"

Home Forums Support [Support request] Need 2nd Nav location = "Above Header," but dash offers only "Off Canvas"

Home Forums Support Need 2nd Nav location = "Above Header," but dash offers only "Off Canvas"

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Linda

Menu Locations dash says, “Your theme can display menus in 2 locations.” View All Locations > right under that shows”Primary” and “Off Canvas”. I need to switch the nix the “Off Campus” choice and insert “Above Header” instead. Don’t see where I can make that happen.

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/secondary-navigation-location/ says GP has 7 native Navigation Locations. Don’t see where I can switch out Off Campus for Above Header.

Previous owner of my website (no longer available to help) was obsessed for awhile on trying to make the site have only Off Campus nav everywhere on every device. I think he set some obscure setting that’s preventing me from getting Above Header choice.

Please help! Thank you.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

in Dashboard > Appearance > GeneratePress – make sure you have the Secondary Nav module activated.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You can set its position in Customizer > Layout > Secondary Navigation set its Location to Above Header

Linda

Unfortunately Secondary Header already is set to Above Header in this dash: Appearance > Customize > Layout > Secondary Navigation.

Nonetheless, it appears UNDER the menu in Primary Navigation.

I see that Primary Navigation is also set to Above Header in the dash that appears here: Appearance > Customize > Layout > Primary Navigation. So since both Primary and Secondary are set to Above Header, it seems to be defaulting to putting the Secondary under the primary.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Try moving the Primary Navigation to Below Header

Linda

More progress! I checked the box “Use Navigation as Header” on the dash Appearance > Customize > Layout > Header. That positioned the secondary menu above the Primary menu, which is what I wanted.

Now all I need to do is turn off the secondary menu’s dark gray strip on the front/home page to get the same affect on the homepage as for the primary navigation (transparent background so that whole hero image shows through). Any suggestion?

Linda

To continue my most recent reply: In Appearance > GeneratePress > Elements, there’s an element called “Frontpage Transparent Navigation”. There in Site Header tab, Merge with Content says “Merge.” Header background and Navigation Background both look like they’re set gray-and-white checkerboard, which I think means transparent.

Seems I need to figure out, for that front page, how to set the Above Header area to merge and transparent background? If yes, then how?

Linda

Changing Navigation Location from Above Header to Below Header in the dash for “Frontpage Transparent Navigation element did not change anything.

Perhaps respond to my post that hit just as you sent this one?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Right so we’re making progress.
    So the Secondary Navigation has its own colors in Customizer > Colors. However to set it separately for the merged site header you would need to add this CSS:

@media (min-width: 768px) {
        .home .secondary-navigation {
            background-color: rgba(255,255,255,0);
        }
    }

Linda

okay. I’m about to try to implement:

@media (min-width: 768px) {
    .home .secondary-navigation {
    background-color: rgba(255,255,255,0);
    }
    }

in the Code Snippets plugin — only way I know how to add code. If I’m supposed to do it some different way, like in some CSS box on the front page, please advise.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Add it to he Customizer > Additional CSS

Linda

Eureka!!!! Added it to Customizer > Additional CSS and it worked.

You are good … and fast. This is my first experience with GP Pro support and I’m thrilled. Linda

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Awesome – glad to be of help!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.