[Resolved] Multiple GP Layouts

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Multiple GP Layouts

Home Forums Support Multiple GP Layouts

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    dlanghoff

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but I’m not clear….

Can I have multiple GeneratePress themes in one site (e.g., for prototyping multiple looks)? If so, how is this achieved?

— Dan

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Dan,

Not too sure what you mean – any examples of other sites doing this?

You can only have 1 theme activated at a time in WordPress, so if you need different looks for different pages, you would need to do some conditionals with some custom programming.

dlanghoff

No, I was wondering if I could prototype 2 or more themes for a single site, using GP for each. Only one would be active at a time, of course.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

For sure, you can create child themes.

Take a look at our child themes to get a grasp on how to do it: https://wordpress.org/themes/author/edge22/

dlanghoff

My hope was that I could use your tools to quickly put together 2 or 3 basic looks for a site.

I’ve installed GP, an empty GP child, and your Exhibit child theme in a test install. When I customize colors or layout for any one of them, however, the changes are echoed in each of the three themes when activated. [Whether or not I follow the “Almost done! Previous GeneratePress options detected in your database. Please click here and delete your current options for new to take full effect” message.]

What am I missing?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You need to set the defaults for the options in the theme childs (check the functions.php files).

Then if you have no settings saved, it will take the defaults for the separate themes.

Otherwise you would have to use the import/export add-on and save exports of your settings for each style.

dlanghoff

Not sure I follow that completely, but the bottom line is: I can’t quickly switch between more than one style if I’ve used the Customizer?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That’s correct, at least not without importing/exporting your settings.

This plugin is actually pretty awesome: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/customizer-export-import/

With it you could add your settings, export them and then create another look with new settings and export them etc..

dlanghoff

OK, thanks–I’ll check that out.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.