[Support request] Modify archive description

Home Forums Support [Support request] Modify archive description

Home Forums Support Modify archive description

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Elías Gómez

Hello! I want to filter the description of a term when it’s shown in its archive page. But as I can see, you use your own function generate_do_archive_description() (and term_description() inside it) instead of the native one get_the_archive_description().

The native one apply the hook filter get_the_archive_description, so we can hook in it and modify the description. But as you don’t use the native function or filter, I can’t do that 🙁

Why you do this way? You just need to change term_description() to get_the_archive_description(), that in fact uses the first one if the archive is for a term).

How can I do this? I can only think on remove_action for your function and call get_the_archive_description() from my own function. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Why you do this way? You just need to change term_description() to get_the_archive_description(), that in fact uses the first one if the archive is for a term).

It’s almost the same thing.

get_the_archive_description() actually calls term_description() inside its function. You can check the source here – https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/get_the_archive_description/#source

While term_description() is the base function that pulls from the archive description field.
    https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/term_description/#source

Tom skipped the default so he can customize the HTML a bit – https://github.com/tomusborne/generatepress/blob/b60b853630da6d9015722da903e53c8064148b0a/inc/structure/archives.php#L94-L117

But yeah, if you really must remove it go with this.
    remove_action( 'generate_after_archive_title', 'generate_do_archive_description' );

Elías Gómez

Hello.

It’s almost the same thing.

Yes, almost. Because it does not apply the filters, that is what I’m poiting.

get_the_archive_description() actually calls term_description() inside its function. You can check the source here – https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/get_the_archive_description/#source

Yes, I explained that.
    “change term_description() to get_the_archive_description(), that in fact uses the first one if the archive is for a term)”

Tom skipped the default so he can customize the HTML a bit

Yes, but why he uses term_description() instead of the general one get_the_archive_description(), that applies the filters? He can do the same, as that function is a ‘wrapper’ that includes term_description() but also applies the filters.

I thought that GeneratePress followed best practices and that’s why I bought GP Premium. Prevent a user to use the WordPress native hooks is not a good practice. And this support reply is neither at the expected level.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Looking at this, it’s likely that term_description() was used so we could split up the HTML a bit and have more overall control.

We’ll take a look to see if we can achieve the same HTML structure using get_the_archive_description(), as we would obviously prefer to use it due to the filter.

Thanks!

Elías Gómez

Hi Tom.

Both functions return a string. Maybe get_the_archive_description() is a little less efficient because it checks first if it is an author or post type archive, but then it runs term_description() (and finally returns the string BUT filtered).

In the archives.php file, the HTML structure is generated AFTER getting the description, it’s not related with that.

Thanks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thanks! Appreciate the feedback 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.