[Support request] Modified date is earlier than posted date when scheduling posts

Home Forums Support [Support request] Modified date is earlier than posted date when scheduling posts

Home Forums Support Modified date is earlier than posted date when scheduling posts

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ingrid

Hi!
    I am displaying the published and modified dates in all my posts using the code bellow:

add_filter( 'generate_post_date_output', function( $output, $time_string ) {
        $time_string = '<time class="entry-date published" datetime="%1$s" >%2$s</time>';

if ( get_the_date() !== get_the_modified_date() ) {
            $time_string = 'Sist oppdatert: <time class="entry-date updated-date" datetime="%3$s">%4$s</time><time class="entry-date published" datetime="%1$s">%2$s</time>';
        }

$time_string = sprintf( $time_string,
            esc_attr( get_the_date( 'c' ) ),
            esc_html( get_the_date() ),
            esc_attr( get_the_modified_date( 'c' ) ),
            esc_html( get_the_modified_date() )
        );

return sprintf( '<span class="posted-on">%s</span> ',
            $time_string
        );
    }, 10, 2 );

The problem is that when scheduling a post it shows the modified date earlier than the published date, for example if I schedule a post for a week from now, it will show like this:

last modified 15 jan 2021 / published 22 jan 2021

How can I make the modified date show only if the date is later than the posted date?

thanks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

This filter may be better than that one: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/generate_post_date_show_updated_only/

It will display the updated date only if it’s later than the published date. The only change you may need to make is adding the Sist oppdatert: text using some CSS:

.updated-date:before {
        content: "Sist oppdatert: ";
    }
    Ingrid

Thanks Tom, but this function adds only the updated date, I wanted to have both published and updated date ONLY if the updated date is older than the published date.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

In that case, the CSS in the following article is all you should need: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/show-the-updated-post-date/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.