[Resolved] Losing Widget Content when switching Themes

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Losing Widget Content when switching Themes

Home Forums Support Losing Widget Content when switching Themes

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    David

Issue: The widget content is lost completely when you migrate WP Site with the Generate Theme. For example site is on local server then need to move to client’s server. After doing that the widget content is completely gone.

Or even if you have to swap themes for troubleshooting. I noticed that with, for example: Twenty-Twelve theme, the widgets would just appear in Inactive Widgets. Try it out and let me know if you get the same results.

Try placing a text widget in the Footer Widgets. Activate another theme then switch back.

Cheers!

bdbrown

Hi David. If you’re migrating a site, using a plugin like Duplicator makes it fairly easy to take a snapshot of a site and resotre it on another host. I’ve used it many times and haven’t experienced any problems.

Regarding the missing widgets when you change themes, it’s related to how unique sidebar IDs are assigned by each theme. Here’s an article for reference.

Jean Paiva
    Developer

Hello David,

The text widget goes to inactive because TwentyTwelve theme does not have footer widget.
    What are you moving to your client’s server, the WP content (Posts/Pages) or the GP customizer settings?

David

Thanks for the detailed input. Answered my question with a bonus recommendation. Cool!

David

Moving the complete website. As in migrating to the client’s server.

The article @bdbrown posted explained the issue in great detail with the plugin solution.

Thanks.

bdbrown

You’re welcome 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.