[Resolved] lift WP folder up with all content to homepage level

Home Forums Support [Resolved] lift WP folder up with all content to homepage level

Home Forums Support lift WP folder up with all content to homepage level

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Nan

Now that I have finished with version 1 of my WP, I want to lift it up to my index page and present it instead. I am no coder by the way….
    Homepage is beerlab.se and WP I’ve been working on is beerlab.se/WP. Can you explainitlikeimfive so I can understand exactly what I do in my FTP gadget to publish the WP when folks click on the beerlab.se link?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

If I understand you correctly, you will need a plugin like this: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Then you can duplicate the setting you have in the staging site to your actual site.

Nan

Ok, thanks. I’ve done that now, so I have an installer.php on my local drive. I still dn’t see how I would unpack that to beerlab.se. Something with the index page? But what?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Now you would take the installer.php and .zip file it generated for you, and upload them to your root directory.

Then you’d go to yoursite.com/installer.php and follow the instructions 🙂

Nan

I should be fired, I’ve made a messs of things. My domain host support said to simply empty my public_html folder, then pull everything out of my WP folder and move it up to public_html. I did that and I could see the WP content was there (sort of) but the theme was working. BoooHoo. So I’ve tried to go back, leaving the simple page on beerlab.se, and tried to move everything back to WP folder, but not I can’t publish that, I don’t know how to logon to WP to get back to dashboard. Its a rotten mess.

Do you think I should try to use the installer.php file instead? I.e. empty the public_html folder, put the installer there- not sure about the zip file though….

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I would definitely go the installer.php route. There should have also been a .zip file with a long name when you downloaded installer.php.

Nan

OK, thanks. In the meantime the domain host folks did the job for me, which was nice, but I’ll practice with the installer.php route as it seems like a good way to produce then upload new versions of a site.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Sounds good! 🙂

Nan

So… in a weak and not so mindful moment I grabbed JetPack plugin, although I have no specific use for it (as fas as I know)

*is there a way to check that a plugin is not being used before deleting it?
    *Jetpack also says it has a backup system for theme, plugins, and content. How does that compare to the installer.php route which still is unknown/feels mysterious to me?
    *Akismet plugin is installed (did I do that?) But I haven’t activated it fully yet. Is that the best thing to use for security?

Apols for adding many topics in this thread.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

1. There’s no way to tell unfortunately. If you don’t think you’re using an activated plugin, simply deactivate it and see if you’re missing anything you need.

2. I think you might be talking about VaultPress. It’s more of a backup system so if something happens to your website, you can restore the last saved version.

3. Akismet comes with all WordPress installations – it can help protect you from comment spam.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.