[Support request] Issues updating to GP 3.0

Home Forums Support [Support request] Issues updating to GP 3.0

Home Forums Support Issues updating to GP 3.0

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dean

Hi Tom

I am currently half way through building a site on localhost and found out about GP 3.0 being a big update so thought I better test it.

Running:
    WP 5.5.1
    GP 3.0.0-beta.2
    GPP 1.12.0-rc.1
    GenerateBlock 1.1.2
    WP Show Posts 1.1.3

1) Immediately after update and before changing to use Flexbox, I have noticed that the Archive H1 titles e.g. Category / Tag / CPT Archives size has been forced to 1.5em which messes things up and means it no longer uses the H1 font size set in the Customiser. Could you please check the following css. I think you may have accidentally set the font-size to 1.5em instead of line-height:

all.min.css

.page-header .page-title {
       font-size: 1.5em;
    }  

2) I followed and tweaked the solution given in this forum thread to create a custom template for my CPT single posts (https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/cpt-single-layout/). However, when I switch to Flexbox in the customiser, it completely messes up the template. I also see you added a new function – generate_do_template_part() – which sounds amazing! To be honest I don’t really like having to mess with the template files as there’s always issues in the future when those templates get updated like now. So this is great! Is it possible to recreate the template from the link above using Gutenberg and generate_do_template_part()? I have no idea how to do this.

3) Currently I have duplicated the site I am working on in localhost to test GP 3. But I am wondering if you would foresee any issues with me just updating the site I am actually working on, and continuing the build with GP3.0.0-beta.2 & GPP1.12.0-rc.1 with Flexbox turned on? Also if GP 3 hasn’t been released by the time I am finished, will there be any issue using it in production? It just seems inefficient for me to build this site and then soon after having to rebuild parts again after updating…

Thanks to everything you do with GP the future is bright πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

1. This is an intentional design decision – the full size H1 wasn’t working for most people esthetically. However, this may be something we want to leave alone in the floats version of the theme.

2. The instructions in that topic should still work fine with flexbox, but it’s possible that the custom CSS you’ve added isn’t compatible. The issue will be the same if you use generate_do_template_part() likely, but this method does mean no child theme templates, which is nice.

3. I don’t see any issues with this. If all goes well we’re looking at an official release on October 6.

Dean

Hi Tom

Thanks for getting back to me. I’ve now updated to GP 3.0 on the site I am actively working on in localhost :-).

Going back to issue 2 – updating the template to work with Flexbox & GP 3.0. The main issue was because the template I based mine off (https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/cpt-single-layout/) was using the old generatepress “grid” classes.

I found these two additional threads in the forum:

https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/question-about-gp-3-0-and-generate_do_template_part/#post-1429909

https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/flexbox/

Following the above, I have managed to rebuild the template using generate_do_template_part(). However, I am not sure if I am using it properly. Also since updating to GP 3.0 the next and previous nav links are now showing in the left column under the featured image which they weren’t doing before. I don’t want to switch them off in the customiser, as I want to keep them for blog posts, but remove them completely from my single cpt template:

Would you mind taking a look at the dropbox link I shared and let me know:

1) If I am using the filter correctly. Currently I have just copied the whole template in there, but I’m sure there is a better way to do this.

2) How to remove the previous and next nav links I have circled on the screenshot using PHP?

Thanks Tom :-).

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That all looks great!

The next/prev links are showing up because of this function: <?php generate_entry_meta(); ?>

It looks like you’ve manually output your books and tags below, so perhaps that function isn’t necessary at all?

Dean

Hi Tom.

Thanks that did the trick :-).

I just wanted to go back to point 1 quickly before I resolve the ticket regarding the addition of the following CSS:

all.min.css

.page-header .page-title {
       font-size: 1.5em;
    }  

The reason being is that we were previously able to adjust this in the customiser and now we would have to add custom CSS to undo this. It feels more natural that this should be the other way around.

Another reason is consistency. This rule doesn’t seem to be applied to the main Blog page. So when you have other custom post types, what happens is the main Blog archive page h1 is the size set in the customiser, but the main CPT archive page h1 is 1.5em.

I have a few suggestions:

1) Simply remove 1.5em css rule

2) Add an additional option in the customiser for taxonomy/other archive h1 size

3) Keep the rule, but then at least do not apply the rule to the main archive page of each post type so CPTs and non-default WP post types look consistent

Thanks again for the great support theme and plugins :-).

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

We actually removed that from the floats version in beta.3, which is available for download now: https://generatepress.com/generatepress-3-0-a-new-era/

Thanks for testing 3.0! Appreciate it πŸ™‚

Dean

Hi Tom.

Thanks for getting back to me. Just so we are on the same page, my feedback about the h1 font-size is especially regarding the Flexbox version as that is what I am now fully using and testing. To be honest I don’t really understand why you would want to fix it at 1.5em. I’m sure you have a reason, but seems awkward to me. Perhaps I’m missing something and others will disagree with me?

Thanks for the update on the new Beta version. I’ll see if I can get around to updating to it today πŸ™‚

Thanks Tom.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The thinking behind it was from a design standpoint. However, it may be best to revert the change and simply add an option to the Customizer so the user can decide to reduce the size or not πŸ™‚

Dean

Hi Tom.

Thanks for reverting that change :-). Didn’t have time to update the other day, but I have just updated to GP3.0.0-rc.1

I’m all done with this ticket, but just wanted to reply to say that I am not seeing any issues. Apart from the custom stuff I needed to update above to activate the Flexbox option, the update process went very smooth for all the native theme functionality.

Congrats on GP 3.0… Best release yet!

Feel free to close the ticket once you have read :-).

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Awesome, thank you for letting us know! Really appreciate you taking the time to test and leave feedback πŸ™‚

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.