[Resolved] Impossible to remove template images

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Impossible to remove template images

Home Forums Support Impossible to remove template images

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

If you view your home page on the live site, click “Edit Page” in the admin toolbar at the top.

That’s where you’ll see this metabox: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/layout-metabox-overview/

You’ll see it has a “Page Header” option, which might be where you’ve set that Page Header to display.

Guna

Well, i dont have that – General- option, as shown in your added document and i dont have the edit page option on my admin tool bar either, i guess i am missing something.
    I have sent you a screenshot to your mail on those two so you can see that i dont have them at all.
    However, i saw a youtube video on how to make the homepage do its job and when i followed their instructions, i managed to make the Home button do its job and the airplane image disappeared, well i guess its still there so would be good to remove it anyway to avoid too much weight, but at least visually it works now.
    as to the point 3 I have solved it too.
    But I have a new question: a)in my mobile version, where there was a logo of my company, probably because it is too big, it doesn’t appear itself, just a small picture symbol, which looks very bad. How do i remove it or make my logo mobile version friendly, so that it decreases automatically and stays on the left side where it has more space?
    b)For menus I have installed Mega Menu plugin and now that i open my menu in mobile version there appears another menu bar below the Mega Menu bar ( only when it is opened)which i guess is there from the theme How do I remove it?Or maybe it is better to remove the Menu bar from Mega menus and leave the original one from the theme to decrease the weight of my page?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

a) I’m not sure your logo will fit on the left on mobile. Right now it sits on top of the menu toggle, which looks good. Did you change it?

b) You can remove that on mobile with this CSS:

#mega-menu-wrap-primary .slideout-toggle, 
    #mega-menu-wrap-primary .search-item {
        display: none;
    }
    Guna

Hello Tom,
    Sorry for the late answer, i don’t receive an email notification any more when i get your answer, that’s who took me so long.
    a)No, I didn´t change it, probably it happened unintentionally changing something else, as i still feel very unfamiliar with everything. But even if the logo sits in the middle, would be great if it looked like my logo, not just a picture symbol as it does now when i open my page in the telephone. So how do i either turn the picture symbol into my logo just smalled obviously or completely remove it? Cause that picture symbol looks very unprofessional in the mobile version.
    b)As to the code,could you please tell me where exactly i have to paste it? But before that, i recently red, that in order to keep the page light, there should be installed as few plugins as possible and that’s why it was advised to buy premium versions of themes in order to avoid installation of all possible plugins. So Would you recommend me to keep Mega menu or better just use the default menu that the theme already has to keep my page light?
    c) in the same article it said that all the pictures have to be as light as possible and i can really see now that my header picture is super heavy cause in mobile version it apears so slowly. What do you recommend to make it lighter without compromising with the quality,maybe there is something in theme already that can help me to do that?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

a) I’m not sure I understand. Your logo is identical on desktop and mobile. The only difference is you can’t see the wing of the plane on mobile, as it’s a background image.

We can remove the logo on mobile if you’d like with a little CSS:

@media (max-width: 768px) {
        .site-logo {
        }
    }

b) CSS can be added using one of these methods: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-css/

You can have 100 plugins as long as they’re coded well, and your performance will be fine. However, you can have 1 poorly coded plugin that ruins your performance.

If you like the look of your menu now, I wouldn’t worry about changing it.

c) You can run your images through a tool like this before uploading them: http://optimizilla.com/

Guna

Hello Tom,
    all that you have told me really worked so I am very happy and I made my header image lighter as well.
    1.However, my mobile version is still loading very slowly which according to what you said means that i must have some plugin that is not coded well. So how can I check my plugins if they are coded well taking into consideration that i dont understand anything about coding and how can i find out in general why my page suddenly loads slowly?
    2.Another thing I want to find out is how to avoid double content cause in one webinar I heard that if my page opens both writting http://www.goitdoit.com and goitdoit.com the search engines see it as double content and “don’t fancy”that kind of pages. How do I avoid that?
    3.What about contact form under Contact, is it part of the theme somewhere or I have to install a plugin for that? And if so which one matches the best with the theme and SEO?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

1. Have you put your site through a test like this?: https://tools.pingdom.com/

It should tell you any performance issues your site might be running into.

2. I would ask your hosting to do this for you. They should be able to set up a 301 redirect to your preference (www or no www).

3. The theme doesn’t have a contact form. However, there’s tons of plugin out there. Ninja Forms, Contact Form 7, WPForms etc..

Guna

Thank you for your answers, it all has worked out great for me.
    Still I have some few questions to ask:

1.How do I remove GeneratePress at the very bottom of the page, as i don’t think it looks professional when its visible?

2. Once I start using my blog publicly, where do I see how many people have entered my site and the number of followers which will be the number that once i will want to monetise my blog the companies that will want to work with will be interested to know.

3.How can i move around tagline and site title?Cause i want to place them in the position where they don’t cover up the airplanes tail both on computer and mobile version, but in order to that I need to be able to move them both around freely, so where can i find this option?

4. How do I add possibility to comment after the article?

5. In travel stories, when it is opened there appears “Travel stories” again on the top of my article, which is not necessary, cause there is Travel stories in the menu bar already, so how do I remove that?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

1. This should help: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/changing-the-copyright-message/

2. You can set up Google Analytics on your site. That’s probably the most in depth tool available.

3. There’s no option to move them around freely. Where exactly do you want them to show up on desktop and mobile?

4. You can turn comments on in “Settings > Discussion”.

5. That second “Travel Stories” is an H1, which is really important for SEO reasons. I definitely suggest that you keep it.

If you want to remove it, you can use this CSS:

.category .page-header {
    }
    Guna

Thanks for the answer!
    1. it did work to change the copyright message with the code, but now I noticed that under my article when I open to leave a comment, there is this following text, which should not be there at all:
    “Footer Widget
    Replace this widget content by going to Appearance / Widgets and dragging widgets into this widget area.

To remove or choose the number of footer widgets, go to Appearance / Customize / Layout / Footer Widgets.”

Why does it appear there?

Also, it says under leave a comment: “logged in as Guna Grinberga. Log out?” that text also shouldn’t be there cause in general there is no possibility to log into my page as a reader.

3. My reason for the desire to move them around is to make sure that they dont cover up the airplane tail, so if i was able to do it myself, i would center on the left the tagline ” Your guide to extraordinary experiences during your ordinary travels” in the mobile version, and in the computer version I would move Goitdoit! so that it never crosses the airplane tail closer to the logo and the same for the tagline – no matter how wide the different computer screens are, the taglive would not cover the airplane tail.WEll, its hard to explain it as it also matter of good composition.
    5. Good to know that its not a good idea to remove travel stories, but how can I make sure in that case that the white rectangle around “TRavel stories” matches in size with the widget follow me. And the same About me And my article rectangles would be great if they could create a regular cross among them, not rectangles higher and lower as it is now.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

1. That’s because you have a footer widget set to show up. You can disable them: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/footer-widgets/

That logged out text you’re seeing is only displaying to you, because you’re logged in. It won’t appear if you log out.

3. Perhaps adding this CSS will help?:

@media (min-width: 769px) {
        .site-branding {
            position: relative;
            left: -20%;
            max-width: 300px;
            top: 100px;
        }
    }

.site-branding{
            text-align: left;
            max-width: 50%;
            padding: 20px;
        }
    }

5. I’m not sure I fully understand. Perhaps this will help?:

.category .page-header {
        margin-bottom: 0;
        border-bottom: 1px solid #ddd;
    }
    Guna

Ok, thanks for the codes, but I am a bit confused now, do I have to copy them in Appearance – GeneratePress- customize -additional CSS or just place all 3 of them in this new plugin I installed Simple CSS?Both the 2 codes from point 3 and the one from 5.?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Additional CSS or Simple CSS will both work and do the same thing.

You can see the differences here: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-css/

Guna

Thanks a lot, yes they work, and the computer version now is perfect apart from that exclamation mark is separated now, could it be moved back to right after goitdoit?
    The other thing is that in the mobile version as the text of tagline is separated word by word to place it on the left, it makes the header bigger and thus the airplane tail is not visible at all.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Here’s what I see on desktop – are you seeing something different?: https://www.screencast.com/t/k2zO2Lalih

As for mobile, add this CSS:

.site-header {
            background-position: -100px center;
        }
    }
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.