[Support request] How to remove Menu That is not neccesary

Home Forums Support [Support request] How to remove Menu That is not neccesary

Home Forums Support How to remove Menu That is not neccesary

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mr Calvert

How to remove <span class=”screen-reader-text”>Menu</span> That is not neccesary
    I was try add this code of Tom:
    add_filter(‘generate_mobile_menu_label’,’generate_remove_menu_label’);
    function generate_remove_menu_label()
    {
    return ”;
    }
    But it not useful. Can you give me function to remove that?
    This is image class I need remove: https://ibb.co/9T1bC1M

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

That is actually needed for accessibility purpose and I would recommend keeping it – we don’t add any unnecessary code in GP to your site πŸ™‚

Mr Calvert

But i was add another menu! Can you help me code for remove that class? I don’t want it in HTML:
    <span class=”screen-reader-text”>Menu</span>

Mr Calvert

I see this code but don’t know how to fix that with add function child theme:

<button class="menu-toggle" aria-controls="primary-menu" aria-expanded="false">
    					<?php
    					/**
    					 * generate_inside_mobile_menu hook.
    					 * @since 0.1
    					 */
    					do_action( 'generate_inside_mobile_menu' );

generate_do_svg_icon( 'menu-bars', true );

$mobile_menu_label = apply_filters( 'generate_mobile_menu_label', __( 'Menu', 'generatepress' ) );

if ( $mobile_menu_label ) {
    						printf(
    							'<span class="mobile-menu">%s</span>',
    							$mobile_menu_label // phpcs:ignore WordPress.Security.EscapeOutput.OutputNotEscaped -- HTML allowed in filter.
    						);
    					} else {
    						printf(
    							'<span class="screen-reader-text">%s</span>',
    							esc_html__( 'Menu', 'generatepress' )
    						);
    					}
    					?>
    				</button>

Can you give me code to remove <span class=”screen-reader-text”>Menu</span>

Mr Calvert

Have anyone help me! I very need that!!!

Mr Calvert

Have any body help me! I very need function to remove that. I only have this problem to run the website.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

If you’re displaying the GP Menu button then what exactly is the issue with the Screen Reader element being there ? As Leo said it is for Accessibility purposes.

It would help if we understood what you’re trying to achieve, ,maybe a link to your site would help us understand better.

Mr Calvert

I only need function to remove that sir. I was find some code to remove screen-reader-text of Tag.
    Tom was share that but I can’t find that topic again:

add_filter( 'generate_tag_list_output', function() {
        return sprintf(
            '<span class="tags-links">%3$s%2$s</span> ',
            esc_html_x( 'Tags', 'Used before tag names.', 'generatepress' ),
            strip_tags( get_the_tag_list( '', ', ' ) ),
            apply_filters( 'generate_inside_post_meta_item_output', '', 'tags' )
        );
    } );

I use that for remove screen-reader-text tag. So I need something function like that to remove <span class=”screen-reader-text”>Menu</span>

I was try with this function but it not work!

add_filter( 'generate_mobile_menu_label', 'tu_change_mobile_menu' );
    function tu_change_mobile_menu() {
    $mobile_menu_label = apply_filters( 'generate_mobile_menu_label', $mobile_menu_label );
    	return printf(
    	'',
    	$mobile_menu_label // phpcs:ignore WordPress.Security.EscapeOutput.OutputNotEscaped -- HTML allowed in filter.
    	);
    } else {
    	return printf(
    	'',
    	esc_html__( 'Menu', 'generatepress' )
    	);
    }
    }

I don’t need any html tag not hiden. I need remove “Menu” word, but when remove “Menu” word <span class=”screen-reader-text”> will empty. So I need function to remove all that!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

As per Tom’s reply here that element is NOT filterable:

https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/need-to-add-this-to-the-tag/#post-1397467

What i don’t understand is why you believe it is not necessary ? This is a necessary requirement to ensure the site remains accessible, without that element users who require accessible technologies will not know that the button is the menu.

Mr Calvert

I think I not have same question with Shrawan. Can you talk Tom help me about that? I think it can remove. It is navigation.php, line 50 and line 145. I was try remove like this and it work exactly I need, I only don’t know how to fix that with function add child theme!!!
    You can see this image I was remove that and it useful: https://ibb.co/zRKVzwG

Mr Calvert

I will description detail again for easy to knowleage.
    I need remove <span class="mobile-menu">Menu</span> and <span class="screen-reader-text">Menu</span> (I don’t want it show in HTML source code). This is two span I need remove in HTML:https://ibb.co/CQMmw1n

I was search in source code GeneratePress have one file navigation.php in this URL: \generatepress\inc\structure\navigation.php
    Two span class in function at line 12 and line 104.

I was try delete span class in source main of GeneratePress it work fine. But I can’t fix main theme, I only want add function in child-theme to fix that!
    After that I was try four way:
    Way 1: I was copy all navigation.php to child theme and remove all span class like I need (but it not effect).

Way 2: I copy code in navigation.php to navigation-custom.php in child-theme and change all name of function I add _custom in last of function name. I do it because I think have one function to remove navigation.php (old) to replace with navigation-custom.php, but I don’t know that function to replace.

Way 3: Like way 2 I was copy the code and change name of some function redeclare but I add that code to child-theme. But not work it generate double menu.

Way 4: I not know code exactly but I think have action hook to fix that (but I don’t know exactly hook and code I need to use). I was try something like this code but it not useful:

add_filter( 'generate_mobile_menu_label', 'tu_change_mobile_menu' );
    $mobile_menu_label = apply_filters( 'generate_mobile_menu_label', __( 'Menu', 'generatepress' ) );
    		return printf(
    			'<span class="hello">%s</span>',
    		);
    	} else {
    		return printf(
    			'<span class="how">%s</span>',
    			esc_html__( '', 'generatepress' )
    			);
    		}
    }

I was try a lot but can’t edit. Can you help me? I very need way add code function to child theme (if not I need anyway to fix) I was try in two day but I don’t know exactly code for fix!!!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

As of right now, there is no filter to remove that accessibility text – it’s added after the filter as it’s important for accessibility reasons.

I’ve made a note to add a filter later so it can be removed in a future version.

Mr Calvert

Hello Tom! Thanks for your anwser!
    I have one problem hope you help!
    I had saw a lot of comment tag not necessary. Can you help me remove that with function? I think if one post have a lot of comment the DOM will inscrease size and have lost data of engine bot to read that!
    <!– #comment-## –>
    <!– .children –>
    <!– .comment-list –>
    <!– #respond –>
    <!– #comments –>
    It in html you can see this image: https://ibb.co/LYSkSGC
    Can remove it with function add to child-theme?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

We have been removing these slowly in our recent releases. The good news is the size they add to the DOM is tiny – it’s not something I would worry about whatsoever at the moment.

Mr Calvert

But have anyway to remove that with function? I was upload with newest update and I see it still have comment tag:
    <!– #comment-## –>
    <!– .children –>
    <!– .comment-list –>
    <!– #respond –>
    <!– #comments –>
    I have page with 100 comment and it was show still 105 tag like this. Do it increase DOM too much?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.