[Resolved] How do I install and activate my addon?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] How do I install and activate my addon?

Home Forums Support How do I install and activate my addon?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 192 total)
  • Author
    Chris McGrath

I just bought the upgrade package, but none of the upgrades are available to me in my WordPress system. I downloaded and unzipped in the WordPress directory, but it seems that there is a step missing…

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Chris,

Have you taken a look at this page?: http://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/install-activate-addons/

It outlines all of the steps needed to get going.

Let me know if something isnt working right 🙂

vau

Hy Tom, the link you posted is not working: no how-to-install addon document available. Also link in the knowledge base istn’t working… Maybe some could fix this?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thanks for pointing that out! Should be fixed now 🙂

Danny

Hi Tom,
    We installed this theme and the plugin successfully at work – thanks!
    Now I’m trying to install it on another site and I keep getting the same error:

Installing Plugin from uploaded file: generatepress.1.2.8.zip

Unpacking the package…

Installing the plugin…

The package could not be installed. No valid plugins were found.

Plugin install failed.

Return to Plugins page

What I did for troubleshooting so far is to disable all of the plugins first and then I tried saving to different locations on my computer.
    I did recently migrate the hosting and domain from WordPress to GoDaddy, if that has any meaning to you.

Thanks for your help,
    Danny

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

generatepress.1.2.8.zip is the free theme, so it can’t be installed as a plugin.

To install the add-ons, you need to download those add-on zips and upload them via the Plugins area.

Let me know if you need more info 🙂

Danny

Hi,
    The theme was free but the plugins are GP Premium.
    I did download and upload/install as you mentioned above.
    Anything I could be missing?
    Danny

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

In that case, you want to download the gp_premium.zip file from your receipt or from your account page.

Then upload that file instead of the theme (generatepress.1.2.8.zip).

Let me know if that makes sense 🙂

2fer

Hi Tom, you’ve helped me in the past, wrapping my head around using a child theme and the one I installed last week is just fine. I installed the GeneratePress theme on a different WP site, same server and when I try to install the AddOns, I get as far as uploading, but when I try to install I get a question asking whether the directory is writable because it says it can’t create a new folder. This could be because I have set the media uploads to a different folder than the default, because the folders are writable.

I checked all through my WP looking for some file permissions that could cause a problem and found nothing that should prevent a folder from being created. I could create the folder manually if that would help. Just need to know where it plans to write it at since that was not clear in the message. I still need to go and check my error logs to see if something there gives me a clue. I was wondering if I can just copy the plugins from the other domain into the plugins folder on this one. The Generate Press theme was activated at the time, but I had to re-activate my old theme, can’t leave it like that. This is on a high traffic site so I had hoped to get it done Sat late and Sun. early to scare fewer people, but it may be next week now. It’s after 3 AM and I need to give up.
    Thank you!

2fer

Hi Tom,
    I thought I would add on that after I checked my error logs I found no errors showing other than a few hundred 403s for /wp-login.php. I could follow my visit and it was all 200 responses other than the 302 to login.

I also thought I should mention that when I get the question “Is this directory writable…?” there is no way to respond or change what it wants to write so the only way to get out of that is the back button on the browser.

I hope this might help. Thanks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

I usually find the best way to figure out permission errors is to contact your hosting directly. They can see the permissions of all of your folders, and should be able to allow WordPress to upload/modify files on the server.

Can you give them a call and see if they can help?

Let me know 🙂

2fer

Hi Tom,
    The directories are writable, they have the exact same settings/permissions as on the other domain where the AddOns installed just fine. I believe the issue was caused because I had WP set to be using a non-standard (default) directory for media, so in settings I set it back to the default. In a few hours, when traffic dies out a little later, I’ll be ready to try again. I had not added media there for a long time, it is mostly informational.

I’ll drop back by later to tell you how it goes, but I expect it to be fine now. I can see all the logs, it is a vps server and I only bother the host for major things I can’t fix.
    Thanks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Sounds good – let me know how it goes. Permission errors can be a real pain!

2fer

Hi Tom,
    It went great, no further problem to finish it up. I have some css to edit, but it is 95%+ finished so I can relax and work on the rest of these installs.

I was left with one minor question that I had not seen instructions on: When I edited the copyright and added my email there to activate it, it showed the other AddOns I had already installed, activated and used. There was an option to bulk activate those as well, but because I had just spent some time going through all the settings, I was hesitant to activate them there because it appeared that they were already active and I did not want to start over. Since the Copyright AddOn was the last task for the work I had to do, it would have helped right there if I was certain that clicking to “Activate” all the AddOns would or would not change any settings that were already entered. Just an idea for the next edition. Yeah, I am over-cautious..

I have to say I am so happy to have found your theme and AddOns. I had looked at so many over the past several months (!) and they were all so over-bloated with repetitive css that served no purpose. I had cut over 500 lines from one theme’s css and it was still over 4000 lines. I appreciate the work that went into keeping it light. Thank you!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah yea, in our latest version of GP Premium/all of the add-ons, the terminology has been updated to be more clear.

Activating your email and enabling the add-on updates won’t have any effect on your settings, it simply allows you to receive future updates directly to your Dashboard.

Glad you got the other issue sorted out! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 192 total)
  • The topic ‘How do I install and activate my addon?’ is closed to new replies.