[Resolved] GDPR (and Google Fonts)

Home Forums Support [Resolved] GDPR (and Google Fonts)

Home Forums Support GDPR (and Google Fonts)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Jiri

Addendum to my post above: I have just found out, that this applies only to pages with embedded youtube-videos. Probably loading the video title. But still – only in Chrome. Firefox is showing only the local loaded fonts…

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’m not sure I understand. The fonts are loading twice? How can you tell?

Jiri

I have made a screenshot here. But now I can see the text below – it seems they are loading from Google because of slow network detection – and I have here a really really slow connection. It seems illogical – loading twice to make up for speed… I will try to test this later today with normal speed connection, if this persists…

Jiri

It persists also with normal speed connection, and as “Initiator” there are jquery.js and base.js, and all of it has to do with embedded player.

Sebastian

Hi Tom and the other readers,

I’m German, too, and like the others said, Google Fonts are a serious legal issue now.

I have an additional question:

When I want to load a font locally, I add it to the system fonts with the filter mentioned above. It worked fine for me and the font is added to the system font list. In my case Oswald.

Do I have to upload the the font files to generatepress/fonts? Or anywhere else?

Because Google Fonts are a serious issue now, it would be nice if you could write a detailed tutorial how “cut the connection” to Google Fonts and add the fonts locally. I think it would help a lot of people in the EU.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Jiri – that might be caused by a plugin you’re using. I’d need to see your website.

Sebastian – done: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-local-fonts/

Sebastian

Tom, thanks so much.

I figured out exactly that way two or three hours ago by myself. But I was not sure, if that’s the right one.

I didn’t want to make a mess, but nice to see that this is the way you recommend, too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Now, so much more sites to customize. ๐Ÿ™

Jiri

Hi, Tom,

I am now trying to avoid this through hosting my own videos locally one after another, but you can take a look for instance here:
    https://paprsky1.com/vesmirna-odysea/

I am seeing now also one more resource – secure.gravatar.com – the same GDPR-issue as with the Google-fonts, although I have deactivated avatars in WP.

Thank you

j

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You may need to ask WordPress support that one. I would assume that if you turn avatars off, the call to Gravatar should disable itself.

Margit

I have inserted in the functions.php the recommended code:

add_filter( 'generate_typography_default_fonts', 'tu_add_local_fonts' );
    function tu_add_local_fonts( $fonts ) {
        $fonts[] = 'Open Sans';
        return $fonts;
    }

Unfortunately I get a syntax error. What am I doing wrong?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The code itself looks ok. Do you maybe have the same function name used elsewhere?

What was the error?

Sebastian

@Margit:

Contains your functions.php the needed <?php at the beginning of your functions.php?

If your are using a child theme, sometimes the functions.php file is completely empty.

So, my file looks like:

<?php

add_filter( 'generate_typography_default_fonts','tu_add_system_fonts' );
    function tu_add_system_fonts( $fonts ) {
        $fonts[] = 'Oswald';

return $fonts;
    }
    Margit

@Sebastian
    <?PHP was available. I copied your code this time. Now it worked. Maybe it was also due to the update of WordPress, which I had done yesterday at the end of my efforts. As a result, miraculously in the main menu, the arrows for the submenu appeared that were missing before ;-(

Now I wanted to select the local font in the customizer (Font is uploaded, CSS instructions in style.css inserted). But there is no choice. <link href=”//fonts.googleapis.com” rel=”dns-prefetch”> is still involved. What can this be?

Jiri

Thanks, Tom, I can see that the Gravatar issue has nothing to do with GP.

Anyway, the other issue with Google Fonts in embedded YouTube vids persists.

My last question: is it technically possible to stop loading Google Fonts with embedded vids?

If not, as I suppose, I would not embed them, but use simple watch-link underlying a thumbnail, and for my own vids I would simply place them in my uploads, with no connection to YouTube except for a link.

Thank you

j

Sebastian

@Jiri: It’s the same issue with Google Maps. It loads the Roboto font from Google Fonts. I have not really found a working solution to stop that. I think, it’s a complex problem. In my opinion a good solution can only come from Google itself. At first, courts have to decide, if Google Fonts are GDPR conform or not. It’s not absolutely clear now. If this is clear, Google will make changes or not.

@Margit
    : Have you chosen the font under system fonts? The added font is the last one under system fonts.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.