[Support request] Full backup with restore on test site

Home Forums Support [Support request] Full backup with restore on test site

Home Forums Support Full backup with restore on test site

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Paul

Hello,

We are planning a major site redesign updating/adding/deleting a lot of content as well as the look & feel. I am looking for a suggestion on a good methodology for accomplishing this while using a test site for the redesign. I would like to do the following:
    1) Back up the complete site & restore it to the test site
    2) Make major changes to the site in the test location
    3) Migrate the changes to the production site.

I have BackupBuddy which I plan to use for the initial duplication to the test site.

1) Should I follow the same methodology to migrate the test site to production once changes are complete?
    2) Do I need to worry about the GeneratePress Activation code in any way?
    3) Is this the best way to do this? Is there a better methodology for performing a major site redesign?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul

Oh… and if there is already a good doc on this that I haven’t found yet… please let me know!

Paul

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Paul,

1. Yes, you would basically re-do the process, just back to your production URL. I usually use Duplicator, but Backup Buddy will definitely work.

2. Only if there’s an update available that’s necessary. You can activate your key and just hit the save button again once you migrate back to the live URL.

3. Without managed WP hosting that handles staging sites for you, I think the above is the best way.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.