[Support request] Double tap issue

Home Forums Support [Support request] Double tap issue

Home Forums Support Double tap issue

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Marc-Antoine

Thanks for testing I’m gonna ask 1 or 2 friends to try.

I will let you know

At home I tried with 3 different devices, all connected to different networks and I got thé issue on all of them

Maybe it is an issue with Chrome un France only. As I said yesterday this issue is fairly recent…

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

There has always been some oddities with iOS and double tap.
    If i goole: https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=ios+chrome+link+double+tap&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

You will see there are a few reports of similar issues. None of which have a clear answer.
    What is odd is that the issue goes away if you Reset the settings.

Let us know what you find 🙂

Kristian

Hey, just wanted to check if a solution to this was ever found?

I got the exact same issue. Only Chrome/Edge on IOS need double tap to work.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

the OP didn’t reply – and i cannot answer whether they have notifications on to respond to this.

The only other fix someone proposed was to disable the tap to zoom accessibility feature in Chrome – but this issue seems to be rather hit and miss from one user to another, so i am not sure thats a solid fix either.

If you want to raise a new topic and share a link to your site, we can take a look to see if theres any obvious issues eg. Scripts being deferred

Kristian

Hey David,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was finally able to find a solution. I am not sure if there is a bug, or if it is a weird coincidence on my site.

Disabling Back to Top Button in theme settings made the issue disappear from my site.

Maybe this helps anyone else that comes across this post :).

Regards
    Kristian

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Thanks for feeding back Kristian – we’ll do some tests to see if we can replicate!

GenStone88

I have the same issue as described here by Kristian (thanks for the info!), when using Chrome on IOS (latest version). And indeed it’s the Back to Top button that is causing this. If I disable the Back to Top button via “Appearance > Customize > Layout > Footer > Back to Top button > Disable”, and clear cache, then the issue is gone instantly.
    I also did extra testing by switching it back on, and the issue immediately came back, and so on.

As Kristian described the issue occurs only for links that require scrolling down. This is consistent with the fact that the Back to Top button is causing this, as the issue only occurs after this button actually becomes visible when scrolling down.

So, disabling the Back to Top button fixes the issue. However, that is not a great solution as I find this button useful and would like to use it.

@David
    or anyone else from Customer Support: did you manage to test and replicate the issue? Any solution that doesn’t involve disabling the Back to Top button?

NOTE: what I’m describing above is NOT the wider issue with double click on IOS that is caused by WP Rocket, for that I have disabled “Delay JavaScript execution” in WP Rocket settings.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

so far we have been unable to easily replicate the issue. Which makes debugging it a pain.

On your site do you have any other scroll-to actions ? such as the GP Smooth scroll enabled on all links ?

GenStone88

Thanks for the suggestion! I had a look but I don’t have GP Smooth scroll enabled. Are there any other scroll related settings or functions in WordPress core or GP that I should look at?

Inspired by your suggestion, I also looked further for anything else “scroll related” in the site. The only thing I could think of myself is Monster Insights scroll tracking. However, I “switched this off” and the issue still occurs. For some reason, the option to simply disable Monster Insights scroll tracking was greyed out in that plugin’s settings but I removed the relevant Javascript using this code in functions.php:
    remove_action( 'wp_footer', 'monsterinsights_scroll_tracking_output_after_script', 11 );

After that didn’t help, I also deactivated ALL plugins in the site, cleared cache, and tested again. Unfortunately, the issue then still occurs.

What else can we try?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Is it possible to see the site ? With the Scroll to Top enabled ?
    If need be – raise a new topic, there as the OP you can access the Private Information field to share any URLs or other sensitive info.

GenStone88

Unfortunately it’s a site being developed on a local environment so I can’t make it available by sharing a link or a login.

Any things I can try further myself though?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Try disabling the smooth scroll on the Back to Top using this PHP Snippet:

add_filter( 'generate_back_to_top_js_args', function( $args ) {
        $args['smooth'] = false;

return $args;
    } );

We can test if that is conflicting with something

GenStone88

I tried the filter suggested but unfortunately it doesn’t change anything.
    However, I have created a test environment that you can access. It’s an almost empty environment where the issue occurs so hopefully it will allow you to determine what the issue is?
    As you previously suggested, I created a new topic for this issue, including private details indicating where to access this environment.
    Please see https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/chrome-ios-double-tap-issue-when-using-back-to-top-button/

Let’s hope this helps:)

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Thanks for setting that up – i will take a look asap!

Katarzyna

Hey,

There is a known bug on iOS that sometimes occurs when using the Delay JS. This bug causes links to not work until they are clicked twice.

You can check a workaround here => https://perfmatters.io/docs/delay-javascript/#ios-double-click

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.