[Resolved] Chrome IOS double tap issue when using Back to Top button

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Chrome IOS double tap issue when using Back to Top button

Home Forums Support Chrome IOS double tap issue when using Back to Top button

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    GenStone88

As requested by David, I’m opening a new topic to pinpoint the issue described here:
    https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/double-tap-issue/page/2/#post-2269180

I have now created a test environment that you can access, and I have confirmed that the issue occurs in this environment. See private information submitted with this topic for details on where to access this environment.

It’s basically an almost empty WordPress environment:
    1. All plugins are disabled.
    2. GP theme installed.
    3. Back to Top button enabled.
    4. Only a homepage with some content, containing some links to test the issue.

Steps to reproduce the issue:
    1. Open the homepage in Chrome on an IOS device. (I tested with an iPad Mini and an iPhone 13 Pro, running the latest version of IOS)
    2. Scroll down so that the Back to Top button appears, and then scroll down a bit further.
    3. Here you find links back to the homepage as well as external links.
    4. The issue occurs frequently, both on the internal and the external links. It won’t occur every time you attempt but in my case I’d say about 50%-75% roughly, so it’s very easy to reproduce.

Note:
    1. The issue also occurs for the Back to Top button itself, it often requires 2 taps before scrolling up when following the steps above and then tapping the Back to Top button instead of a link.
    2. It seems that the issue occurs only once for each page load. If you have encountered the issue using the Back to Top button or an external link (opening in a new tab), so that you stay on the same page, then the issue won’t occur again until you refresh the page.

Hopefully you can now also produce the issue and say something about what we can do about it?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

thanks for setting this up.
    On refresh sometimes the back to top requires a double tap probably 7 out of 10 times. Hmmm.
    But the links in the content, internal or external, they work everytime for me on my iPhone.

Chrome on iOS is a pain in the *** to debug as its a webViews app.

I am going to ask Tom to take a look too, so we can knock our heads together and see what we can come up with.

Are you ok leaving that staging site up for a while ?

GenStone88

Thanks for checking!

Yes absolutely, I’ll leave it up as it currently is. Just let me know if we need to change/test something.

Just tested again myself, and I continue to have the issue also for the links, so in my case it’s definitely not just the back to top button itself that needs a double tap.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Much appreciated.
    I opened an issue here so we can track it as a potential bug:
    https://github.com/tomusborne/generatepress/issues/407

We’ll keep you posted.

GenStone88

Hi David,
    Just want to check if you still need the staging site to debug this issue further or did you have a chance to take the info you need from the staging site now?
    Asking as I need to replace it in the near future, and at that point it would also be good if you can remove the reference to the staging site url/details from this support ticket (even if it’s not resolved yet at that point).

For now, I’ll leave the staging site as it is but thought I’d give you a heads-up instead of just replacing it at some point.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Thanks for keeping the staging site up – still trying to debug this!

Is there any chance you can share login details for it so I can turn on/off the back to top button?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah, scratch that! Was able to replicate with the content from your staging site.

I believe I have the fixes ready to go here: https://github.com/tomusborne/generatepress/pull/421

Let me know if you’re able to test those changes and if they work or not.

Thanks!

GenStone88

Hi Tom, thanks for the update!
    I tested the fix on the staging site and it does indeed remove the need to double tap:) However, it does introduce a new issue it seems, as now the back to top button is always visible immediately on page load. It doesn’t just pop up after scrolling down, it’s simply always visible.

Might that be an issue related to the fix or did I do something wrong?

To test I first only uploaded the changes (from the 4 files) related to the relevant commit.

After noticing the issue mentioned above I also tried uploading all the files from the “improve-back-to-top” branche but the result is the same.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Do you have any server caches on the site, if so try clearing those to see if it clears the ‘new’ issue

GenStone88

Hi David,

I did consider that and pressed cache clear several times before posting my results, however, I understand your concern with cache. Just to be sure I just double checked but server cache is actually disabled in the staging environment. Nevertheless, I again cleared the cache just now in WordPress as well as on the server level (even though it’s disabled anyway) but the issue remains also after that.

So something else must be causing it?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Try deactivating the Back to Top in the Customizer, publish the changes and then re-activate it.

GenStone88

Brilliant! That fixed it!
    So indeed that wasn’t an issue in the code update:)

I noticed now that the customizer option “Cache dynamic CSS” is enabled in this environment so perhaps that cached CSS needed refreshing, or something else was refreshed by disabling and then once again enabling the Back to Top button.

Anyway, it seems all good now in the staging environment. No more double tap issues, and the Back to Top button only appears after scrolling down a bit.

Any idea on when this awesome fix might make its way into an official release?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Great to hear thats working. Its tagged for GP 3.2 release, which i would expect to see an alpha for in the next few weeks.

GenStone88

Awesome! I’ll now mark this issue as resolved as the fix is coming in the release.
    Thanks for the great support and fix!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Thank you for your patience and testing – and especially keeping the staging site open !!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.