[Resolved] Deactivate responsive Layout as User

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Deactivate responsive Layout as User

Home Forums Support Deactivate responsive Layout as User

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Hari

Sorry, but I have another basic question that came up from my members during Migration.

I have left and right side columns, with a lot of valuable Information, as for example links to the latest Posts in the Forum.

Now with the responsive design on for example an iPhone this columns are gone. Some of my members complain about this, they want to deactivate the responsive design on their devices to see the blog “as is” without adaptions.

Is there a way to achieve this on the user side?

I am Aware, that I could circumvent this Problem by integrating the “side column dontent” somehow in my Navigation via the 2 menues, but unfortunately there are other issues, that prevent this path.

Any help is highly appreciated and again sorry for two questions in a row. After the migration is behind me, I will be a happy and silent customer again. πŸ˜‰

Thanks again, Hari

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

On mobile, the sidebars are pushed below the content, as the content is usually most important and displayed before sidebars.

You can disable the mobile version of the site using this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/generate-disable-mobile/

Your other question is a little more complex – I’ll have to tackle it in the morning! πŸ™‚

Hope the above helps!

Hari

Hi Tom,

thanks for your fast response as always. Your support really shines and before you put too much weight on your shoulders – which might be the resukt of the increasing success of Generate Press – I want to let you know, that I am very willing to pay for such a competent support ! So if some time this becomes too much to handle, think about my words.

Back to the Problem. What you offer with the plugin seems to be an “all or nothing” approach.

I dont want this. My blog should stay “responsive” as default. But there are certain users, who wish to deactivate the responsive design, so that they can see all columns together.

Form professional Media-Websites I know, that there is often an Option for users, to choose the “PC Layout” instead of the mobile Design.

I am wondering if there is any chance to move this decision in the hand of the user?

Thanks, Hari

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Hari,

Sites that offer the ability to see the desktop site in the footer are actually using two different sites for mobile/desktop.

GP uses responsive design, meaning you’re looking at the same site, it’s just optimized for the screen you’re using.

At this time, I’m not aware of any way to turn off the responsive design on a per-user basis by clicking a link.

I agree that this would be a useful feature, so I’ll look into it to see if it’s even possible.

If you’re wanting that kind of functionality, I suggest giving Jetpack a look – it has a mobile site option: http://jetpack.me/support/mobile-theme/

Hari

Thanks for the informative answer!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem! πŸ™‚

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.