[Support request] Create a new post format just like the standard one

Home Forums Support [Support request] Create a new post format just like the standard one

Home Forums Support Create a new post format just like the standard one

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Hilton

Hello, I have a website that has two types of posts, articles and recipes. To put different structured data into each of them, I need to differentiate them in some way. So I thought if it would be possible to create a post format for recipes, just like the standard format, but when selected it will make the recipes schema be applied while in the standard format the articles will be applied.

Hilton

If it is not possible to create a new post format as it is a native WordPress feature, I would like to know how I can customize the post format “aside” or any other in generatepress

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

have you looked at creating a Custom Post Type for your Recipes? ( Or a plugin that does this for you ).

Hilton

Hi David,

I don’t really understand post type but from what I saw it would be ideal to have created a new post type before publishing the recipes.

Now that they have been published, and there are many, I can’t see how to change the post type of these recipes already published, keeping all the URLs intact.

Hilton

I need to differentiate the posts on my site between articles and recipes so that I can place the specific markups of structured data in them.

Creating a new type of post does not seem to be the best alternative because the articles are already there on the site and I do not want to change url, etc.

So I would like to know how I can copy the “standard” post format to the “aside” format.

That way I will select the post format “aside” for every recipe and the structured data plugin would know where to place the necessary schemas in the recipes.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Aside should be almost identical already, but it does hide the title.

Try adding this CSS:

.blog .format-aside .entry-header,
    .archive .format-aside .entry-header {
    	display: block;
    }

.blog .format-aside .entry-content,
    .archive .format-aside .entry-content {
    	margin-top: 2em;
    }
    Hilton

Hi Tom, aside is equal to the standard, it even has the title. But my concern is in some future update that will change. So I was wondering if there is anything I can put on the child theme to preserve the aside code.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Post Formats are a part of WordPress Core so i cannot see that they will change anything as it could break a lot of sites. There won’t be any changes to GP’s CSS that would adversely effect them either.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.