[Support request] Columns not working under Category

Home Forums Support [Support request] Columns not working under Category

Home Forums Support Columns not working under Category

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

OK, I see. Sorry, if the question is stupid, but what should i do to remove this redirect setting that is breaking my category archive there?

Simply delete the redirect instruction you did – https://share.getcloudapp.com/o0u6QJnx – and change the slug in its appropriate place on WP Admin Dashboard > Posts > Categories.

If the answer is what you are showing as the next step, then I do not understand how did you get to the window where it says add a new category to the left and the names of my categories to the right.

You mean this? https://share.getcloudapp.com/04uAklWA

If so, go to WP Admin Dashboard > Posts > Categories. Hover on “Travel Stories” and click quick edit. The text field for slug should appear.

See my sample video on how to do it here: https://share.getcloudapp.com/Jru47eYR

Guna

YES!!!!!!!!!! Finally, it got better and thank you for very explaining videos.
    So now that I have some content back under the page travel stories, I have 3 questions:

1.How do I remove the sidebar widget from Travel stories with my name, following buttons, and the newsletter, as I just want the posts to appear?

2. How do I order the structure, so that all posts are in the same size? I have gone under blog, columns, and written number 3 under the number of columns, that is why I do not understand why it does not want to make this order.

3. How do I get the featured images to appear for every post, as I have chosen “image” under “post format” and I have also put a featured image to every post?

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

1.How do I remove the sidebar widget from Travel stories with my name, following buttons, and the newsletter, as I just want the posts to appear?

Go to Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets and check your right sidebar for any widgets placed there. You can remove it there.

https://share.getcloudapp.com/xQub0oOk

2. How do I order the structure, so that all posts are in the same size? I have gone under blog, columns, and written number 3 under the number of columns, that is why I do not understand why it does not want to make this order.

There’s no setting to control the size of the posts. The size will depend on how much text are added as the title or the excerpt of the post.

While you can try to make it look like this: https://share.getcloudapp.com/nOuom79e

With this CSS:

body.archive article.post .inside-article .entry-summary, body.blog article.post .inside-article .entry-summary {
        margin-top: auto;
    }

body.archive article.post .inside-article, body.blog article.post .inside-article {
        display: flex;
        flex-direction: column;
    }

It’s not perfect. We can try cropping the displayed length of text but that may not be desirable.

3. How do I get the featured images to appear for every post, as I have chosen “image” under “post format” and I have also put a featured image to every post?

We can enable featured image to display on single posts page through Appearance > customize > Layout > Blog > post tab and check display featured image as done here:
    https://share.getcloudapp.com/YEuRdwWk

Note: It displayed twice because you seem to have added the image as a content within the post as well.

If some images don’t show up, its most likely because there’s no featured image assigned to the post. You have to make sure there’s an assigned featured image on all post. The theme automatically fetches the featured image set on the posts.

Guna

1.OK, but how do I make sure that I do not delete the widget on my main page, just under travel stories? I cannot seem to find the option to do that.

2.The code you gave me, shall I place it under customize, additional css or under snippets?

3.I have “display featured image checked, so i am wondering why it still do not appear.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

1.OK, but how do I make sure that I do not delete the widget on my main page, just under travel stories? I cannot seem to find the option to do that.

If that’s the case you need to make a condition so it only displays on travel stories archive.

The WordPress itself or the Theme doesn’t have that functionality by default.

But here’s something to try.

Add this CSS:

body:not(.category-travel-stories-about-local-cultures-and-people) aside#text-4 {
        display: none;
    }

You can place it under customize, additional css.

2.The code you gave me, shall I place it under customize, additional css or under snippets?

It’s a CSS. You can place it under customize, additional css.

3.I have “display featured image checked, so i am wondering why it still do not appear.

Make sure you select the proper tab. There are 3 tabs. You’ve only checked it on the “Archive” tab. You need to check it on the “Post” tab as well. https://share.getcloudapp.com/6qu8L1RG

Guna

OK, so copied the code, but now, my picture disappeared on the main page, where I wanted to leave everything as it was, but under “Travel stories” where I want to remove the side widget completely, it still stays here.

AS to the posts under Travel Stories, yes the structure is in order now after using the code, but the featured images still not there, even though I have it checked by the featured images under layout, blog, post tab. What else can I do?

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

OK, so copied the code, but now, my picture disappeared on the main page, where I wanted to leave everything as it was, but under “Travel stories” where I want to remove the side widget completely, it still stays here.

Ah my bad. I had it the other way around.

Try this instead:

body.category-travel-stories-about-local-cultures-and-people aside#text-4 {
    }

AS to the posts under Travel Stories, yes the structure is in order now after using the code, but the featured images still not there, even though I have it checked by the featured images under layout, blog, post tab. What else can I do?

Let’s clear this up. Do you want the featured display on the travel stories ARCHIVE page(the one with the post list) or the SINGLE POST page(the page with the post’s contents)?

If it’s the former, the post thumbnails don’t display because you have this CSS in your site:

body:not(.category-travel-stories) .post-image {
    }

It’s added through a plugin installed on your site named “Simple CSS”. Remove this if you want the travel stories archive page to display like this: https://share.getcloudapp.com/8LubJ1vA

Guna

Hello Elvin,

WEll, at least one thing has been improved, I have got pictures back on my posts under TRavel stories, which is good, but I just want to have the pictures on the top of the titles to have them in one line. BUt the side widget is still there on the right under Travel STories, which I do not want. I just want the full right side widget with my picture on the main page “Home”

BUt the page “home” looks horrible now, the side widget is not complete missing my picture and the posts have devided in the columns when I use the new code, which I do want on the page “HOme”. ON the “home” I just want the last post to appear when the page is opened followed by other posts on the bottom, exactly as it was before.And the picutes in the main page are doubling.

Guna

If I do not use the new code (body.category-travel-stories-about-local-cultures-and-people aside#text-4 {
    }) then the posts in the page “HOme” are normal again but with double images.

Guna

AS I have a commission for one startup competition looking at my homepage today, so i cannot afford to have mu page totally destroyed, so to make it look normal for now without double pictures on the page “HOMe” the only way how I could remove the double pictures under “HOme” was to go to appearance – blog – and remove the check under featured images, but of course, it also removed the pictures under my TRavel stories where there has to be a picture.

So to structure my problems they are:

1. How to have my features images with each post under “Travel stories”, without automatically doubling up for images under “HOME”
    2. How to completely remove right sidebar widget under “TRavel STories”, but have complete under “HOME” -with my picture
    3. How to make images un “Travel Stories” on the top of the titles to make the images in straight lines?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

so lets deal with 1 at a time.

1. Try adding this PHP Snippet to your site:

add_filter( 'option_generate_blog_settings', 'db_custom_category_arhive' );
    function db_custom_category_arhive( $options ) {
      if ( is_category( 'travel-stories-about-local-cultures-and-people' ) ) {
        $options['post_image'] = true;
        $options['post_image_position'] = 'post-image-above-header';    
      }
      return $options;
    }

It will set the featured image to display only on the travel stories category.

Once there in place ill look at alignment.

Guna

Yes, now it is done and works very well, so now just the shifting of images on the top of the title is left and to move the right bar side widget away from “Travel Stories” to the “Home”.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Now go to Customizer > Layout > Blog –> Featured Images and change the Location to Above Title.

For the widget.

1. REMOVE This CSS:

body:not(.category-travel-stories-about-local-cultures-and-people) aside#text-4 {
    }

And ADD this CSS:

body.category-travel-stories-about-local-cultures-and-people aside#text-4 {
    }
    Guna

Hello David, yes, now I got the featured images up, but in order to do that I had to check the featured images and after i had done it, the old problem with the double pictures appeared.
    Unfortunately the problem with the widget did not change.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Ok lets fix the featured image.

I have edited the code i provided here:

https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/columns-not-working-under-category/page/2/#post-1724467

Update your code to that.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.