[Support request] Columns not working under Category

Home Forums Support [Support request] Columns not working under Category

Home Forums Support Columns not working under Category

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Guna

Hello, On my homepage under the category Travel Stories, I want to display all my blog articles with featured pictures, a title below, and a small excerpt under the title in rows of 3. Everything has been prepared to do that. I have gone under Bolg to indicate I want the division of columns and have given a number 3 to it. Your colleague has given me a code to be able to use columns only under Travel Stories and not on the main page, but still, when I click on Travel stories, the appearance is the same as on the main page, as if the page Travel Stories is not really working.. .What I am still missing to do to make it happen?

The structure i want to make under my category Travel stories looks like in this blog, if my explanation has not been understandable before (just having all my articles ordered in the rows of 3 not just the first ones):
    https://www.iheartreykjavik.net/the-blog/

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

currently i see the Home Page and the Travel Stories page are both linking to the same thing ie. Blog…..

Before we look at making this right – a couple of questions:

1. what do you want set on your home page? Will this be ALL of your posts ?
    2. Travel stories are these posts from just a specific Category ?

Guna

Ok,I see.

Answering your questions:
    1. Yes for now the main page I want to leave as it is, where the blog articles follow each other when scrolling down. I do not know if it changes something for you, but in few weeks when I will have woocommerce installed and shop made I will remove the blog posts from the main age and the only place it will be possible to read them, will be under Travel Stores. But for now, I want them to stay the way they are.
    2.The page “Travel stories” is like a “catalog” of all my posts and I have added them all, I mean my posts, to a category Travel Stories, which before made them all appear under Travel Stories, before it disaapeared.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

So first steps.

1. Go to Appearance > Menus
    2. Remove the Travel Stories menu item.
    3. From the Add Menu Items select Category: Travel Stories

2021-04-02_12-09-22

Once thats done let me know so we can make sure we’re not simply showing the Blog page in 2 places. Then we can look at the different columns 🙂

Guna

Thank you for the answer, David! I just did it as you said, but seems like it keeps being the same as before. However, what I noticed is that Under the title “Menu structure” under which I removed item “travel Stories, on the right in the same block as Travel stories appeared “custom link”, but after I removed this block and from “Add menu items” added a category “Travel stories”, now under Menu structure “travel stories” appear with the word “category”.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Would you be able to provide me with a temporary admin login so i can take a look at the backend of the site ? You can share those details in the Private Information field.

Guna

Sure!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You have a Page called: Travel Stories – can you either delete that or Save it as a Draft.
    Having Pages that have the same slug as a Category can create confusion.

Guna

Oh, I see, it means that I “destroyed” my page Travel Stories at the moment when I changed the slug due to the automatic suggestion of Yoast SEO? because, before that SEO optimization, I had no problem.
    So, now that I unpublished the page TRavel STories and saved as a draft, if I want to optimize for SEO my so-called category Travel Stories, that works as a page, where can I do that not to destroy it again and can I do it at all?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

hmmm….
    you can change the Categories slug or the Pages slug to something different

Guna

Ok, so I can change categories slug or pages slug, without damaging anything?

Anyway, there is still nothing when Travel Stories and clicked on. What would be the next step, I should do to list all my posts under Travel Stories?

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Ok, so I can change categories slug or pages slug, without damaging anything?

Yes as long as you’ve changed it properly here:
    https://share.getcloudapp.com/GGuQ0DJg

Anyway, there is still nothing when Travel Stories and clicked on. What would be the next step, I should do to list all my posts under Travel Stories?

Yes that’s actually strange. Can you try temporarily disabling ALL plugins except GP premium? Something seems to be breaking the post loop for archives. (travel-stories slug seems to changed to travel-stories-about-local-cultures-and-people from somewhere.)

Guna

Hello, Elvin!

Well, here is the thing, all these problems started when l wanted to optimize my page for Yoast SEO. So in the Yoast SEO they give you all those tips how to optimize better and there was this suggestion to optimize the slug adding more keywords to it, which l also did not even really knowing what the slug stands for.
    So maybe l should start with changing the slug back to the original one?
    And not to repeat it again, have l understood it right that l should never change slug not to destroy my structure of the homepage?

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Well, here is the thing, all these problems started when l wanted to optimize my page for Yoast SEO. So in the Yoast SEO they give you all those tips how to optimize better and there was this suggestion to optimize the slug adding more keywords to it, which l also did not even really knowing what the slug stands for.
    So maybe l should start with changing the slug back to the original one?
    And not to repeat it again, have l understood it right that l should never change slug not to destroy my structure of the homepage?

I checked the backend settings and the link is breaking because you have a redirect setting that breaks your category archive here – https://share.getcloudapp.com/QwuEQOL0 – but you didn’t change the actual category slug here – https://share.getcloudapp.com/llu5wP0R

If you want to change the URL of the link of the category, there’s no need for the redirect(301) setting on Yoast. Simply change the slug here – https://share.getcloudapp.com/llu5wP0R – and all URLs would follow the change.

If you want travel-stories-about-local-cultures-and-people as a slug instead of travel-stories then you just replace it. https://share.getcloudapp.com/04uAklWA

Guna

OK, I see. Sorry, if the question is stupid, but what should i do to remove this redirect setting that is breaking my category archive there?
    If the answer is what you are showing as the next step, then I do not understand how did you get to the window where it says add a new category to the left and the names of my categories to the right. I went under “Menus” on the left while searching it but cannot find a window like you are showing it on your screenshot.
    Thank you in advance!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.