[Resolved] Child theme best practice – should I still use simple css and code snippets?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Child theme best practice – should I still use simple css and code snippets?

Home Forums Support Child theme best practice – should I still use simple css and code snippets?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Cleo

I fear this has been asked before but there are so many results for child-theme related questions that I’m loath to sift through them all.

I need to create an alternative archive page to display custom post types and was planning to copy and modify the archive.php file (along with other required files). I believe a child theme would be the best solution for this since you can’t really add entire PHP files with the Code Snippets plugin.

Once I create a child theme and add these PHP pages, should I stick with that model – customizing my CSS and PHP in the child theme’s style.css and functions.php files? Or, is it a better idea to do as much customization within the admin interface using simple.css (or custom CSS) and Code Snippets.

It seems like there are a lot of options for customization, so I’m looking for best practices or good reasons to pick an approach and stick with it.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

as you will be requiring a Child Theme for your modified archive.php i would keep all my styles and functions in the Child Theme.

Its better they are in one place as this will reduce the chance of annoying conflicts 🙂

Cleo

I ended up creating custom post types with plugin: CPT UI. Then using the Content Aware plugin to create a sidebar that would be used only on the custom post type archive page. That replaced the need for me to create a “custom post type” archive.php file. I may end up going back and doing that to reduce my reliance on plugins.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Glad to hear you found a working solution

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.