[Support request] WordPress 5.5 breaking header elements in Firefox 79.0

Home Forums Support WordPress 5.5 breaking header elements in Firefox 79.0

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    stlayman

Here is a screenshot of my elements page, and another of the element called ‘contact’ which should be excluding the header element. And every new page I create, shows the ‘Attorneys’ header, which I cannot exclude.

https://snipboard.io/p5rIbN.jpg
    https://snipboard.io/OS1pnL.jpg (although my test page is tagged excluded here, it is showing the ‘Attorneys’ header…rather than even the Contact header… this is happening for all new pages.)

Hope this helps,
    Thanks much,
    Stacy

stlayman

And some of the pages are showing blank in the elements list, not loading the whole list, I guess because there’s too many pages.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The first rule for Attorneys is “Pages”, which means it will display on all pages. Is that intentional?

stlayman

The rules for attorney are showing “Page” (not pages, right?) and showing a blank page because the specific attorney page is not populating in the list. There’s a bunch of other blanks next to “Page”.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The one saying “Page” means it will apply to all pages – not just a specific one.

You should remove that option from the Display Rules if you don’t want it to show on all pages.

Have you tried the category method I mentioned?

stlayman

I’m sorry to be a pain, I surely must be missing something. But when I select the location “Page” I’m allowed to pick specific pages, which I’ve done. If I wanted all pages, I would accept the default rule ‘All Pages’ after picking “Page”. If you look at this screenshot, you can see that while editing the element’s display rules, they all say “Page”, but you can’t see some of the targeted pages, because the list is not loading entirely. https://snipboard.io/uGVJ7Q.jpg

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Yea, something isn’t right there at all.

If you right-click + Inspect the page, are there any errors in the “Console” tab?

stlayman

I’ve gone through the inspector and debugger using three browsers and do not see anything there. The problems are:
    1) Cannot create an entirely new blank page, one of the custom header elements is always included.
    2) The elements location rules pages aren’t populating completely, seems like a script is timing out quickly. So I’m avoiding saving any elements, since they are showing blank entries.
    3) The custom headers’ BB content sliders are only loading partially. (On first load only.) They’ve asked me to put the slider on a blank page so they can test it, but, see #1.

Thanks Tom

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Can you try removing the empty page values from the Display Rules?

Cannot create an entirely new blank page, one of the custom header elements is always included.

This tells me that one of them is set to display on all pages. If you remove those empty values, we should get a better understanding of which one.

stlayman

The empty page values change, sometimes 17 are missing, then some of those will show up and others are missing, it’s random. It seems like the page values are there, but not displaying. I’ll need to wait until this weekend when their site has much less visitors to try something like that. Thanks again.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Is there any way you can create a staging version of the site? That way you can play with it without affecting the live version. Most hosting companies offer the ability to build a staging site these days.

stlayman

They only have a regular GoDaddy account. I have the entire site backed up on dropbox if you’ll PM me an email address to send the invite to. In looking at the database, There are 17 showing on the frontend editor. All of them seem to be in the database, and I’m not seeing post:page:all pages here, and there’s several 0 objects. I’m just going to add back a missing entry this weekend and see where that gets me. Thanks again.

a:34:{i:0;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:1:”0″;}i:1;a:2:
    {s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:3:”225″;}i:2;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:3:”227″;}i:3;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:1:”0″;}i:4;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:1:”0″;}i:5;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:1:”0″;}i:6;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:3:”343″;}i:7;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:3:”345″;}i:8;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:1:”0″;}i:9;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:3:”349″;}i:10;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:3:”351″;}i:11;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:3:”353″;}i:12;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:1:”0″;}i:13;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:4:”1464″;}i:14;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:3:”357″;}i:15;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:1:”0″;}i:16;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:1:”0″;}i:17;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:4:”1292″;}i:18;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:3:”417″;}i:19;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:3:”424″;}i:20;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:3:”426″;}i:21;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:3:”428″;}i:22;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:3:”430″;}i:23;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:3:”432″;}i:24;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:3:”434″;}i:25;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:3:”436″;}i:26;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:3:”438″;}i:27;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:3:”440″;}i:28;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:3:”442″;}i:29;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:3:”444″;}i:30;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:4:”1322″;}i:31;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:3:”446″;}i:32;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:4:”1847″;}i:33;a:2:{s:4:”rule”;s:9:”post:page”;s:6:”object”;s:4:”1999″;}}

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’m assuming those 0 values are the issue, as the code likely isn’t expected a 0 value at that point.

How did you back up the site? If you move it to your localhost, does the issue persist?

I’m trying to get an understanding of why the 0 values are happening in the first place. That’s a decent amount of pages, but not enough to cause timeouts/issues unless the server itself is running low on resources.

One of our team members (David) is currently writing a documentation article on introducing a custom taxonomy to Elements so you don’t need to rely on the core categories taxonomy. I believe that’s likely your fix if you’re stuck with the current GoDaddy server.

stlayman

Yes… I backed it up using Backup WordPress. The BB team mounted it to their local awhile back and could not duplicate the image loading problem. But that’s not really a good test…

So to update, I went into the elements and selected each page again, deleted any blank entries that did not allow me to pick a page, and saved them.
    Then the next time I entered the element locations, there were blank ones again, or the frontend is not loading them.:) I created a totally new page again, and am continuing to have a header element that I cannot remove from the page… if only…

On the BB content slider partially loading in the header elements, I believe I fixed that. I removed all CSS from the customizer and combined it with my style.css in the child theme. I also removed the CSS that “hides the header” sitewide. .site-header {display:none;} and removed lazy loading=false I had placed in functions.php (since BB came out with a patch). Seems to be loading the BB content slider fine now.

I’ll keep looking for anything that’s preventing me from creating a new blank page.

Thanks!
    Stacy

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Something is definitely conflicting if it’s not allowing the page values to save – are you able to test on a different server? A localhost even? That will at least let us know whether it’s a server conflict or a plugin conflict.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.