[Resolved] Website slower after update to 2.0

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Website slower after update to 2.0

Home Forums Support Website slower after update to 2.0

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Kle

To my surprise my site is slower after the update : / It was fully loading at 1.2 /1.3 secs max 1.5 and the first test I made with 2.0 sent me back to 2.3 at Gtmetrix. After that 1.8 and above. It also has more requests, before it had 18 and now 22.

I thought this update was about speed/size? I was expecting to go to 1 sec or less with the update… Is there any adjustments I have to make that I am not aware of? I have Autooptimize and the Fontawesome script (ect.) subdued followings Tom´s GP optimization tutorial.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

The update is all about speed, however there needs to be the right factors involved.

In a fresh install, the new update:

1. Only loads essential Font Awesome icons. For existing websites, we still load the full library as we don’t want to break any icons. You can adjust this in Customize > General.

2. There’s no jQuery. If you’re using a plugin which requires jQuery, it will still load.

3. We don’t load Google Fonts by default. If you’re using a Google font, it will still load.

However, the speed shouldn’t get worse – it should just stay the same. Be sure to clear any caches (autoptimize etc..).

Kle

I didn´t made any changes to the website since the last time I went to Gtmetrix which was today right before the 2.0 update, so I can see the difference. In teory, would have to be faster? Just wondering, if I am missing some new settings I should make to adjust. I haven´t made any changes at all to my site yet. I will investigate and see if I can get it back at least to where it was.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Definitely clear caches etc.. and run a couple more tests.

Let me know 🙂

Kle

Will do: )

Kle

PageSpeed insights (Google) went down too, from 84 to 81 on Mobile, and from 95 to 91 on desktop.

Cleared cache and tried a few things but still my page is slower now from 1.7 and it reaches the 2 sec mark which I never saw it before the update. I will further investigate as soon as I have more time.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I would have to see the two different waterfalls to know what’s going on there. Which file is taking longer etc..

The core theme with nothing else added has improved page speed, and reduced page size (https://generatepress.com/fastest-wordpress-theme/).

sarojini

Hi there
    I wanted to ask – I just created my new website (www.energyoga.co.uk) with your theme and Beaver Builder. It has loads of issues with Google speed insight (https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.energyoga.co.uk%2F) so I was thinking of hiring someone to improve that. Should I wait until 2.0 is ready or can I get them to do that now?
    Thank you!
    Saro

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

2.0 is released. This article might be worth looking at: https://generatepress.com/fastest-wordpress-theme/

sarojini

Ok thanks. Do I have to manually update to 2.0?
    Thank you

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No, it’s provided in “Appearance > Themes”.

If you need more help with your optimization, feel free to start a new topic we don’t don’t busy this one up 🙂

Thanks!

Kle

Finally I had time to look into the issue and work some more on my site. After trying different combinations with cache plugins and optimization I got it back to where it was before the update.

Thank you for the support:)

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Great to hear – thanks for reporting back! 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.