[Resolved] Update Failed: Download failed. Unauthorized

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Update Failed: Download failed. Unauthorized

Home Forums Support Update Failed: Download failed. Unauthorized

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bob

Trying to update the plugin, when I do the update I receive the error “Update Failed: Download failed. Unauthorized”

Other than uninstalling and reinstalling.

WP Version: Version 4.7.5

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer
    David

I am having the exact same problem. I HAVE successfully upgraded to GP Premium and updated it a couple of times. NOW, I am getting an unauthorized error like the one shown above. Instead of help, I’ve been directed to “canned” solutions and posting in a forum. This isn’t support for a paid product. I am not anxious to delete and reinstall risking the site I’ve spent considerable time developing, just to update a product because the update did not work. What assurance do I have, given the error, that it will reinstall correctly? The failed update doesn’t give me a lot of confidence in THAT process.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

As the documentation mentioned, this error happens when your URL has changed since your license key was activated.

If you follow the steps in there, remove and re-add the license key, it should be good unless the URL changes again in the future. No need to delete and reinstall.

See Tom’s full explanation here: https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/an-error-occurred-while-updating-gp-premium-download-failed-unauthorized-2/#post-335914

David

I followed the instructions in spite of concern and it failed to correct the problem. I went to Appearance/Generate Press and removed the license key that was there (masked as dots). Then I pasted the key in and clicked Update. I went back to Installed Plugins and tried to update Generate Press. This produced the following message: “Update Failed: Download failed. Unauthorized.” So apparently my concerns were well founded. Now what do you suggest please?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

When you re-added the license key and click update, does it say Activate below the license key and a message on top that says License activated? Like this? https://postimg.org/image/5oymzyzph/e2c8f672/

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The process isn’t very clear, I’m going to make some changes to it right now so it’s better in the next version.

Basically:

1. Remove license key, update.
    2. Add license key, update.

David

Success. Thank you. Kind of a convoluted way to update but I’m sure there’s a reason.
    Thanks again

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

In the next version you just need to click the “Update” button to re-authorize if the URL changes.

If the URL doesn’t change, you shouldn’t run into this issue again.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.