[Resolved] Site Library … Blog … Spacious

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Site Library … Blog … Spacious

Home Forums Support Site Library … Blog … Spacious

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    John

Folks,

I am a bit embarassed to admit that I did not figure this out. And I am a bit lazy, too. I would like to change http://www.johnottomagee.com to a blog. I went to the GP Site Library and found Spacious. I like it.

But how do I change johnottomagee.com to Spacious?

Thanks !

John

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

we don’t recommend simply importing a Library site into an existing site, as things will need to be ‘fixed’.

You should move the site to a staging site first. Then import the Spacious site.
    Once done, you will need to update the site logo/branding, menus and any widgets that the spacious site would have imported. Check the new site carefully, make any tweaks and then push the staging site live when you’re happy.

John

Thanks, David !

And sorry for missing your original response.

John

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Glad to be of help!

John

Hi David,

I’d like to revisit this topic. You wrote above:

“You should move the site to a staging site first. Then import the Spacious site.
    Once done, you will need to update the site logo/branding, menus and any widgets that the spacious site would have imported. Check the new site carefully, make any tweaks and then push the staging site live when you’re happy.”

I have johnottomagee.com. I would like to repurpose it into a purely blog-site. And I like Spacious. How do I import Spacious into/onto johnottomagee.com?

Thanks !

John

John

Hi David,

I’d like to revisit this topic. You wrote above:

“You should move the site to a staging site first. Then import the Spacious site.
    Once done, you will need to update the site logo/branding, menus and any widgets that the spacious site would have imported. Check the new site carefully, make any tweaks and then push the staging site live when you’re happy.”

I have johnottomagee.com. I would like to repurpose it into a purely blog-site. And I like Spacious. How do I import Spacious into/onto johnottomagee.com?

Thanks !

John

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi John,

Your current site doesn’t look like using WordPress currently, can you confirm?

John

Hello Ying. Nice to hear from you again. The site … http://www.johnottomagee.com … is back up.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Can you ask your hosting company if they provide a Staging service ?
    If they do – ask them to create a staging site of http://www.johnottomagee.com/
    The Staging is a ‘clone’ of your live site, where you can make changes, such as importing Spacious, without affecting the live site.
    This will allow you to modify your site to work correctly with the Spacious site. And when you’re happy you ask the Hosting company to Push the Staging Site to the Live Site.

John

I will do that, David.

Frankly, I wanted to load Spacious and tweak on the fly. However, you have persuaded me to be rational and first set up a staging site. Thanks for that !

John

John

David

Is there a WP-duplicator plugin which you folks recommend?

John

John

David

Is there a WP-duplicator plugin which you folks recommend?

John

John

Hello Ying,
    Hello David,

I just took a look at the duplication process. It seems straightforward. But wait, nobody is visiting my site. I think it would be faster and easier for me to simply download Spacious and get to work setting it up. GP is so well conceived and coded that I think I can set up Spacious on johnottomagee.com rather quickly. Again, nobody is really visiting the site. My main site is understand-culture.com.

So, please, let me know how I download Spacious onto johnottomagee.com

Thanks !

John

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

In that case, please first create a Backup of your site, as we cannot make any guarantees that something may break.
    Then:

1. In Customizer > Additional CSS – remove any CSS in there.
    2. Go to Appearance > Elements – do you have any Elements ? If No – move on. If Yes – let me know what.
    3. Go to Appearance > GeneratePress and:
    3.1 Hit the Reset Button. At this point your site should have the layout and styles of a default GP install.
    3.2 Enable and Open the Site Library:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-the-site-library/

4. Select the Spacious site and import away!

Now it will be a case of updating the Customizer > Site Identity and the Appearance > Menus and their locations, plus any Widgets

AND just for future reference – i use this duplicator plugin:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

John

Oh, goody-goody … thanks, David !

John

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.