[Resolved] Roadmap for Generateblocks and Generatepress

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Roadmap for Generateblocks and Generatepress

Home Forums Support Roadmap for Generateblocks and Generatepress

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Meg

Following this topic, because I’m a big fan of accordions, but I’m having a hard time figuring out how to “update” them to the newer trends in web design. Content wise, my brain thinks in accordion tabs. But I’m older than the “snapchat generation” and recent visitors to our sites don’t seem to appreciate the accordions as much as I do. Hoping I’m not too old to learn new tricks…. πŸ˜‰

Elvis

Hello Tom,

I have made a “feature concept” video and wish to share. The idea is that the GenerateBlocks is a really special block plugin in that it does not go the usual route of making dedicated blocks like, accordion, tabs, carousel etc, but is a builder that allows one to make these. So i created an ultra simple script that adds accordions to GB with adding one css class, and leaves everything else to be done with GB. What I am proposing is that GB would be even more special solution if it could offer a simple UI update to handle JS events like this, so people could build a variety of interactive designs instead of just same old accordions, or whatnot.

A real plugin that goes this route is Cwicly in case you want to look at that.
    Would love to hear what you think about the idea.

Here is the demo of my script in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ppGmDADDE

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hey Elvis,

This is very cool, thank you for sharing!

We’re currently working on an Accordion feature over here: https://github.com/tomusborne/generateblocks/tree/feature-accordion

Feel free to give it a try – we’d love as much feedback as possible!

To use it, simply add a Container block and enable the Accordion feature in the “Interactions” tab.

Elvis

Hey Tom,
    I am going to write it here, feel free to remove/move since these are not yet released features. I’ve installed and played with both the query block branch and the accordion feature.

Accordion
    No jQuery – nice. Accessible by default great. Ability to set aria-labels … great. This one looks almost ready to use. πŸ˜€

It would be great if you would make no assumptions if it is going to be a standard accordion. Lets say I want to build horizontally stacked image accordion. Or a even a carousel. I am aware this may be too much for the moment, but if you would allow for “interactions” to be simply JS events, click, scroll etc, and enable to set one element as a trigger, and another as destination, that would be something that can be built upon in the future. Look at this js events setup UI https://youtu.be/gKNljves64I?t=330 as an example. I do not care for the rest of the product that much but this is nice. Allow Dynamic Image to be a trigger (you do plan to bring Dynamic image and Dynamic content into blocks, no?).

Query Block
    This is big. I am really looking forward to this, but currently it still doesn’t have the ShowPosts Pro features like carousel, featured post (taking more space) etc. Will these features be available when it first comes out?

For performance and layout flexibility it would be insane if one coud make a query once, then choose a conteiner where the loop will go, and set args there. So that you can query the DB once, and ouput different content and layouts from that same one query. πŸ™‚
    Something like this -> https://wpmudev.com/blog/how-to-use-one-query-to-run-multiple-loops/

Would love to hear what you think.
    Best,
    Elvis

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thanks for the video about interactions. Looks interesting, although a bit complicated. Will definitely think about this.

About the Query Block – we’re going to focus on keeping this as simple and solid as possible at the start. Then we’re going to continue to grow it and add more features like carousels etc…

Thanks for the feedback! Really appreciate it πŸ™‚

Elvis

Makes sense,

I have sent the video to think about as an aproach not as implementation. I agree it is a bit complicated there. I just taught that following the GB logic of using a small number of blocks to build any layout, it would make sense to add interactinos in the same wain, a small number of interactions to create any … interactive layout. πŸ™‚

By the way, regarding my temporary (because yours is comming out soon anyway) accordion solution, I have been so overthinking how to achieve accessible accordion and still have it simple … then I looked at yours, and was like … omg I should have just used the button instead of a Headline πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

As always, thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem! πŸ™‚

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.