[Resolved] Remove Placeholder text from Comments Form

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Remove Placeholder text from Comments Form

Home Forums Support Remove Placeholder text from Comments Form

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Alicia

Hi!

I’d love to remove placeholder text from Comment form. I’ve got the labels visible but can’t seem to remove the placeholder text.

I even followed this solution and tweaked it to see if I could get it to work. But, no dice.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

can you share the code you used to remove the placeholders ?

Alicia

Hi!

I went back and futzed with the code a bit and got the placeholders for Author and Email to disappear. Now, I’m needing the Website URL placeholder to disappear. I’m not sure if the filter I’m using is accurate even for Author and Email, since the solution was for a specific scenario.

Here’s my code:

add_filter( 'comment_form_default_fields', 'tu_filter_comment_fields', 20 );
    function tu_filter_comment_fields( $fields ) {
        $commenter = wp_get_current_commenter();

$fields['author'] = '<label for="author" class="screen-reader-text">' . esc_html__( 'Name', 'generatepress' ) . '</label><input id="author" name="author" type="text" value="' . esc_attr( $commenter['comment_author'] ) . '" size="30" />';

$fields['email'] = '<label for="email" class="screen-reader-text">' . esc_html__( 'Email', 'generatepress' ) . '</label><input id="email" name="email" type="email" value="' . esc_attr( $commenter['comment_author_email'] ) . '" size="30" />';

return $fields;
    }
    David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You can include this in your function:

unset( $fields['url'] );

Add it before the return $fields;

Alicia

Hi David,
    I actually want to keep the Website field, I just want to get rid of the placeholder text. The code I grabbed doesn’t have the website field included, so I’m not sure of the proper syntax.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Oops sorry … try this:

add_filter( 'comment_form_default_fields', 'tu_filter_comment_fields', 20 );
    function tu_filter_comment_fields( $fields ) {
        $commenter = wp_get_current_commenter();

$fields['author'] = '<label for="author" class="screen-reader-text">' . esc_html__( 'Name', 'generatepress' ) . '</label><input id="author" name="author" type="text" value="' . esc_attr( $commenter['comment_author'] ) . '" size="30" />';

$fields['email'] = '<label for="email" class="screen-reader-text">' . esc_html__( 'Email', 'generatepress' ) . '</label><input id="email" name="email" type="email" value="' . esc_attr( $commenter['comment_author_email'] ) . '" size="30" />';

$fields['url'] = '<label for="url" class="screen-reader-text">' . esc_html__( 'URL', 'generatepress' ) . '</label><input id="url" name="url" type="url" value="' . esc_attr( $commenter['comment_author_url'] ) . '" size="30" />';

return $fields;
    }
    Alicia

Hi David!!

Awesome sauce. That’s just what I needed!

Thanks!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Glad to be of help

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.