[Resolved] Comment fields placeholders

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Comment fields placeholders

Home Forums Support Comment fields placeholders

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    pancakebg

Hey guys, can you help me to change the text on the placeholders in the comments section?

I need to replace the name, e-mail and if possible to remove the website field.

Also i would like to know if i can change the text on this: Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.

I already found this posted by Tom but when i add it to the child theme function.php and replace the fields – nothing happens.

add_filter( 'comment_form_default_fields', 'tu_adjust_comment_form_fields' );
    function tu_adjust_comment_form_fields( $fields ) {
        return array(
            'author' => '<label for="author" class="screen-reader-text">' . esc_html__( 'Name', 'generatepress' ) . '</label><input placeholder="' . esc_attr__( 'Name', 'generatepress' ) . ' *" id="author" name="author" type="text" value="' . esc_attr( $commenter['comment_author'] ) . '" size="30" />',
            'email' => '<label for="email" class="screen-reader-text">' . esc_html__( 'Email', 'generatepress' ) . '</label><input placeholder="' . esc_attr__( 'Email', 'generatepress' ) . ' *" id="email" name="email" type="email" value="' . esc_attr( $commenter['comment_author_email'] ) . '" size="30" />',
            'url' => '<label for="url" class="screen-reader-text">' . esc_html__( 'Website', 'generatepress' ) . '</label><input placeholder="' . esc_attr__( 'Website', 'generatepress' ) . '" id="url" name="url" type="url" value="' . esc_attr( $commenter['comment_author_url'] ) . '" size="30" />',
        );
    }

Thank you! πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

You can try something like this:

add_filter( 'comment_form_default_fields', 'tu_filter_comment_fields' );
    function tu_filter_comment_fields( $fields ) {
        $commenter = wp_get_current_commenter();

$fields['author'] = '<label for="author" class="screen-reader-text">' . esc_html__( 'Name', 'generatepress' ) . '</label><input placeholder="' . esc_attr__( 'Name', 'generatepress' ) . ' *" id="author" name="author" type="text" value="' . esc_attr( $commenter['comment_author'] ) . '" size="30" />';

$fields['email'] = '<label for="email" class="screen-reader-text">' . esc_html__( 'Email', 'generatepress' ) . '</label><input placeholder="' . esc_attr__( 'Email', 'generatepress' ) . ' *" id="email" name="email" type="email" value="' . esc_attr( $commenter['comment_author_email'] ) . '" size="30" />';

$consent   = empty( $commenter['comment_author_email'] ) ? '' : ' checked="checked"';

$fields['cookies'] = '<p class="comment-form-cookies-consent"><input id="wp-comment-cookies-consent" name="wp-comment-cookies-consent" type="checkbox" value="yes"' . $consent . ' />' . '<label for="wp-comment-cookies-consent">Your modified text here</label></p>';

unset( $fields['url'] );

return $fields;
    }
    pancakebg

Sadly, it does not work for me.

The placeholders did not changed.

The box with the URL still there.

However, the “Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.” did changed but the check box goes between the “Name” and “Email” boxes on the upper row.

That’s a bit hard to figure it out how to do it. ;[

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Is the code still added?

I tested the same code using Code Snippets and everything worked for me.

pancakebg

I removed it but i will add it back so you can check it out.

Thanks! πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Can you share the code with the changes you added to your site?

pancakebg

Yes, here is the code:

add_filter( 'comment_form_default_fields', 'tu_filter_comment_fields' );

$fields['author'] = '<label for="author" class="screen-reader-text">' . esc_html__( 'Name', 'generatepress' ) . '</label><input placeholder="' . esc_attr__( 'NEW NAME HERE', 'generatepress' ) . ' *" id="author" name="author" type="text" value="' . esc_attr( $commenter['comment_author'] ) . '" size="30" />';

$fields['email'] = '<label for="email" class="screen-reader-text">' . esc_html__( 'Email', 'generatepress' ) . '</label><input placeholder="' . esc_attr__( 'NEW EMAIL HERE', 'generatepress' ) . ' *" id="email" name="email" type="email" value="' . esc_attr( $commenter['comment_author_email'] ) . '" size="30" />';

$consent   = empty( $commenter['comment_author_email'] ) ? '' : ' checked="checked"';

$fields['cookies'] = '<p class="comment-form-cookies-consent"><input id="wp-comment-cookies-consent" name="wp-comment-cookies-consent" type="checkbox" value="yes"' . $consent . ' />' . '<label for="wp-comment-cookies-consent">TEXT FOR CHECKBOX HERE</label></p>';

unset( $fields['url'] );

return $fields;
    }
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

And this is being added to your child theme?

Any other functions/changes made to template files regarding the comments area?

Maybe try this:

add_filter( 'comment_form_default_fields', 'tu_filter_comment_fields', 20 );

$fields['author'] = '<label for="author" class="screen-reader-text">' . esc_html__( 'Name', 'generatepress' ) . '</label><input placeholder="NEW NAME HERE *" id="author" name="author" type="text" value="' . esc_attr( $commenter['comment_author'] ) . '" size="30" />';

$fields['email'] = '<label for="email" class="screen-reader-text">' . esc_html__( 'Email', 'generatepress' ) . '</label><input placeholder="NEW EMAIL HERE *" id="email" name="email" type="email" value="' . esc_attr( $commenter['comment_author_email'] ) . '" size="30" />';

$fields['cookies'] = '<p class="comment-form-cookies-consent"><input id="wp-comment-cookies-consent" name="wp-comment-cookies-consent" type="checkbox" value="yes"' . $consent . ' />' . '<label for="wp-comment-cookies-consent">TEXT FOR CHECKBOX HERE</label></p>';

unset( $fields['url'] );

return $fields;
    }
    pancakebg

Thanks Tom!

I have a bit of success with the last one but the check box still between the two fields

I have no problem to remove this box if you know how to do it.

For the fields i use this css:

@media (min-width: 769px) {
        .comment-form #author, 
        .comment-form #email {
            width: 48%;
            float: left;
        }
        .comment-form #email {
            float: right;
        }
        .comment-form #url {
            width: 100%;
        }
    }

I also have few added filters in the function.php about the comments mainly to change the names.

The code is up and you can check the site.

Thank you!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Try this CSS:

.comment-form-cookies-consent {
        clear: both;
    }
    pancakebg

Works great, thank you!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem! πŸ™‚

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.