[Resolved] Posts page shows entire post – can i make it just show a starting summary

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Posts page shows entire post – can i make it just show a starting summary

Home Forums Support Posts page shows entire post – can i make it just show a starting summary

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    chris

as above.

Please go to my website and Blog / News page. You will see it shows the entire articles on my website, but i want it just to show an opening excerpt and the visitor then clicks to read the full article.

I have read up on other excerpt advice but none helps. I am using the premium version.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

I’m not sure if I understand.

The Blog/News menu link is a single post and not the posts page.

Let me know if I’m missing something 🙂

chris

Hi Leo,

Ok sorry, this is likely because i really am a very inexperienced user.

On the basis of your reply, please can you advise how i direct my ‘posts page’ to appear on my website in place?

Thank you and great service and company.

chris

Leo,

To add, i have tried to follow many guides/messages of topic on this support and i can see it’s something that has been asked before. Please see this link which appears very similar:

https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/full-posts-showing-instead-of-excerpts/

What i think i need to do, is somehow set the ‘Page’ that gets represented on my website to be the ‘Archive’ version, not the full post article.

chris

Leo,

To try and really make this clear on the problem, i have done two additional ‘Posts’. ‘Test’ and ‘Test 1’.

I can;t show you a screenprint here, but these have gone into ‘Recent posts’ sidebar, but the Main Page content still shows the very first Post in Full (doesn’t even show the other two).

Before i have had the main content page show all the posts, but just a summary/excerpt of all these posts and that’s what i need back please.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

1. create a new Page and give it a title of Blog. Don’t add any content. Now publish this.
    2. Go to Dashboard > Settings > Reading – and for Posts page: select your newly created Blog Page.
    3. Go to Appearance > Menus and edit your Primary Menu – delete your current Blog / News menu and now Add your newly created Blog page. You can change the Navigation Label to display what you need.

chris

Superb! Thank you. Good work team.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Glad we could be of help

chris

all resolved

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.