[Support request] Mega menu and Elementor

Home Forums Support [Support request] Mega menu and Elementor

Home Forums Support Mega menu and Elementor

• This topic has 9 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by David.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    stefan

Im trying to get a mega menu using https://docs.generatepress.com/article/building-simple-mega-menu/
    I added the CSS and the classes in the parent menu item, but it keeps showing the normal dropdown menu. Is it working with Elementor as well? Do I need to add the classes in the child or grandchild as wel. I tried that but also no result.

Thanks for your support,
    Stefan

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

that CSS is designed to be used with the GP Navigation, the Elementor nav uses a different structure and CSS.

stefan

Hi David,
    Thanks for your quick reply. Is het somehow possible to integrate it?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

This is out of scope for us, it would seem simple enough to replace nav .main-nav classes for those used in Elementor. However Elementor adds a few more containers and its own CSS that would most likely conflict.

There are plugins for elementor that do this but personally i always build out the navigation with GP.

Eivind

Does it affect SEO and Google site links? Changing menu items to child items I mean.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there.

i am not sure i fully understand the question. Could you explain what it is your trying to do?

Eivind

Hi! Absolutely.

I’m looking to build a mega menu just like the one in this guide https://docs.generatepress.com/article/building-simple-mega-menu/
    By doing so, some of my menu items will become sub items, and they again will have sub-sub items.
    So, before I go ahead, I’m just thinking out loud about how it might affect the way search engines interpret this navigation menu, and perhaps hurts my SEO.

I believe menu items is of higher importance than sub items, and sub items more so than sub-sub items. So, by moving them down the hierarchy, I’m afraid I might lose some of my important seo keyword “strenght” that my menu items already hold.

Also, on Google SERP I have sitelinks for all my menu items. I fear that if I make a few of them sub items, I’m going to lose those as SERP sitelinks.

On the other hand, I have 8 menu items now, 3 of which has dropdowns, and it’s just too much. It doesn’t look good anymore, and it’s somewhat bad for UX. One of my menu items with dropdown is perfect for including the 2 other menu items with dropdowns inside a mega menu. It would clean up the site real well and make it easier to navigate. So, I don’t know, but I believe it’s a question of SEO VS UX?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

I am by no means an SEO expert but it sounds like UX is more important here. Poor user navigation will result in higher bounce rates so making it user friendly is a must. Analytics should be your friend to help identify what is most relevant and whether burying a link within sub sub menus would be a negative.
    Decluttering the main nav is sometimes overlooked. So any low visit links like FAQs and About could be moved to the footer.

Eivind

Yeah thanks. I’m just going to try it out 🙂

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.