[Support request] Make certain website is the fastest possible

Home Forums Support [Support request] Make certain website is the fastest possible

Home Forums Support Make certain website is the fastest possible

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jim

Purchased premium because generatepress.com tested very fast. I want to make sure my website is the fastest possible. I am afraid that if I start adding modules my site will not be the fastest possible.

Is there a tutorial or a checklist on how to have the fastest site possible? And/or a list of the modules that will slow your site down and you might avoid using?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

none of the modules have a direct or noticeable impact on front end performance. Its more what you do with them that would have an effect. But as a simple rule, for good housekeeping, we generally only enable a module if we need it eg. if you don’t have a Secondary Nav then don’t enable it.

Some features in some modules do add additional code to the front end, if that module is being used on that page, the majority of which is just a few lines of CSS – nothing to be concerned about there. But the following features do currently require jQuery which can knock your performance:

Menu Plus — > Sticky Navigation
    Blog –> Infinite Load

GP won’t load jQuery if neither of those options are enabled, you can of course use the rest of the features in those modules without it being loaded. In the next update these functions will be replaced by Vanilla JS.

But to note many plugins still require jQuery and if you are having to use them, then you can completely ignore the jQuery issue.

Jim

David, thanks for this. So for a non-programmer, is there a checklist or video tutorial?

Questions on these:

“In the next update these functions will be replaced by Vanilla JS.” Q: Will this be a simple update or require something more?

But to note many plugins still require jQuery and if you are having to use them, then you can completely ignore the jQuery issue. Q: I’m having trouble following you here. You say they require yet you can ignore. Are you referring to Sticky Navigation and Infinite Load?

Is there an essentials list of things to enable?

Thanks,

Jim

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

David, thanks for this. So for a non-programmer, is there a checklist or video tutorial?

We don’t exactly have a ready made checklist or video tutorial but here’s a few pointers.

1.) Use plugins from reputatable developers.
    – The most popular ones are popular for a reason. They are usually well-written/well-supported as opposed to plugins from the same category with less reviews/ratings.

2.) If you don’t need it, don’t activate it.
    – David mentioned about “good housekeeping” and this is pretty much that.

3.) Run your site on page performance analysis sites.
    – Having your site’s performance checked through sites like Google PageSpeed Insight, GTMetrix or webpagetest.org will give you an idea on issues that slows down your site. These sites will even give advice on how to address the issues they flag.

4.) Caching & Optimization (using plugins, this is related to #3)
    – Some issues flagged by performance analysis can be addressed by the use of caching and optimization plugins. (caching, minifying scripts and styles, script and style aggregation, CDN, etc)

5.) Well-written/Better content structure.
    – Having short but concise content is the way to go as its less work for the site because it doesn’t have to serve too many content within a page plus its better user experience because its easy on the eyes.

“In the next update these functions will be replaced by Vanilla JS.” Q: Will this be a simple update or require something more?

It’s a simple update. This is a step away from using jQuery as Vanilla JS means the scripts will not rely on any jQuery libraries but rather, use pure simple JavaScript.

But to note many plugins still require jQuery and if you are having to use them, then you can completely ignore the jQuery issue. Q: I’m having trouble following you here. You say they require yet you can ignore. Are you referring to Sticky Navigation and Infinite Load?

If you have multiple necessary plugins that use jQuery libraries then you just have to not bother with enabling/disabling the sticky navigation and infinite load feature since the point of disabling sticky nav and infinite load was to avoid loading jQuery libraries.

But if the jQuery library is being loaded by another plugin then it won’t really matter if the mentioned features are disabled/enabled because the other plugins loaded it anyway.

Is there an essentials list of things to enable?

Caching and Optimization plugins will help. Image optimization can also help but most of the free ones are somewhat useless. CDN is great too but this will add to things you’ll have to maintain.

A wise man once said:
    "Have you cleared your cache?"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.