[Resolved] Lightweight Grid Columns: will it be updated for WordPress 5.2.x?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Lightweight Grid Columns: will it be updated for WordPress 5.2.x?

Home Forums Support Lightweight Grid Columns: will it be updated for WordPress 5.2.x?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Deborah

I noticed Lightweight Grid Columns (LGC) plugin was last updated for WordPress 5.1.1.

Are there plans for LGC to be updated to WordPress 5.2.x?

I’m using Classic Editor on WordPress, not interested in using Gutenberg for this project.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

It should be compatible with the latest version of WordPress.

Are you experiencing any issues?

It’s unlikely that LGC will be getting any improvements soon as it’s no longer our recommended method for creating columns.

Gutenberg columns is definitely the way to go. David also brought up this plugin this other day:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/ghostkit/

Deborah

Hi Leo,

Thank you for the quick response. No, I’m not experiencing any issues.

No plans to move sites to Gutenberg for a while, given the number of accessibility issues that need to be resolved.

Which is true for other WordPress users, especially those in public schools, higher education, and government who are required to use accessible technology and produce accessible code.

Other than Gutenberg, what is your latest recommended method for creating columns?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

We don’t really have a second recommendation other than Gutenberg for now.

Feel free to keep using LGC πŸ™‚

Deborah

Thanks, Leo.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem πŸ™‚

Enrico

I am using Lightweight Grid Columns. Do you know if Gutenberg columns are fast as Lightweight Grid Columns or slower?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Although probably not that noticeable Gutenberg columns should be faster as it uses Flexbox, so no need to load the unsemantic framework style sheet that LGC uses. Plus no need for shortcodes to fetch data which used in excess may have a minor performance impact.

Enrico

Thanks a lot David, I was thinking the opposite.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Gutenberg has a greater performance impact on the backend due to the JS/React libraries its using but they are continually working to improve that. Front end the code it creates is really clean and lightweight, just be careful of some third party plugins that eject code like a pagebuilder πŸ™‚

Enrico

I’m using Classic Editor, so if I activate Gutenberg to use it I will slow down my site?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

No not on the front end. Its just the back end editor that is a little more of a memory hog.

Enrico

Hi David, I have tested Ghostkit and for the moment it is pretty unstable in editing, some time is impossibile to make it work. In fact it is used only by 1000 sites. When I can’t make it work I use the standard Gutenberg’s Columns block.

To be honest I am using it with GP beta, but I don’t think at all it is a Theme problem.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

I haven’t experience many issues with GhostKit but i have only tested it to see what the competition is doing. Do you have the Gutenberg plugin installed as well? This brings the latest version of the editor which includes bug fixes a new Group block and column width and alignment controls.

We’re currently working a new block plugin – which hopefully should impress.

Enrico

Yes, I have only disabled Classic editor to use Gutenberg. Without Ghostkit’s problems, Gutenberg’s column editing is easier.
    Is the first time I use Gutenberg’s columns, so I can’t say if is better now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.