[Resolved] Installing gp-premium kills Live preview/Customization

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Installing gp-premium kills Live preview/Customization

Home Forums Support Installing gp-premium kills Live preview/Customization

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Balázs

I installed and activated GP Premium, and now the Live preview doesn’t work, and the Customization also doesn’t work for any other themes.
    Looking at logs, it seems gp-premium is at fault:

"PHP message: PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function generate_get_defaults() in ************/wp-content/plugins/gp-premium/blog/functions/customizer.php:725
    Stack trace:
    #0 ************/wp-includes/class-wp-customize-control.php(235): generate_blog_is_excerpt(Object(WP_Customize_Control))
    #1 ************/wp-includes/class-wp-customize-control.php(293): WP_Customize_Control->active()
    #2 ************/wp-includes/class-wp-customize-control.php(309): WP_Customize_Control->to_json()
    #3 ************/wp-includes/class-wp-customize-manager.php(1918): WP_Customize_Control->json()
    #4 ************/wp-includes/plugin.php(524): WP_Customize_Manager->customize_pane_settings('')
    #5 ************/wp-admin/customize.php(185): do_action('customize_contr...')
    #6 {main}
      thrown in ************/wp-content/plugins/gp-premium/blog/functions/customizer.php on line 725" while reading upstream

I’m a complete beginner to WordPress, so bear with me.
    I deleted gp-premium, re-added it, but still happens.
    I’m using WordPress latest of today.

Greets,
    Balazs

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Make sure GeneratePress is installed and active: https://generatepress.com/install-generatepress/

That should fix it 🙂

Lyle

I noticed the Customizer not being available for another theme after switching from GP just to do some testing. Thought it was a dodgy install and didn’t think much more about it. However, this post from Balazs made me do a test on a clean install and yes, the Customizer issue is reproducible (Preview changes or clicking on the permalink in the page/post editor still works for me).

I am not sure if this is a “bug” or just “how things work” but there is a rather easy fix. The key is that one has to either go to Appearance > GeneratePress and deactivate all of the GP Premium Addons before changing the theme from GeneratePress or deactivate the GP Premium plugin. Once you do that, then the Customizer items for the theme you are changing to will be available.

Cheers!
    Lyle

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

If GP Premium is activated, GeneratePress has to be activated as well.

GP Premium uses GeneratePress functions, so if GeneratePress isn’t active GP Premium is looking for functions that don’t exist.

Balázs

It is, I mean I can access all the advanced functionality. I downloaded gp-premium.zip and installed manually.
    I followed this: https://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/install-activate-addons/
    I then went here: https://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/updating-add-ons/
    Actually I forgot to paste the license key, so I did it now. It sais “Gp Premium 1.2.89” Is that correct? I don’t know if the update worked, I got a green chekmark next to the license key.
    However, the Customizer still didn’t work.

The “fix” Lyle mentioned “fixed” it, though I’d rather call it a temporary workaround.
    Did I do something wrong or can this be fixed?

EDIT: Ah wait, just read your post, will try that now…

Greets,
    Balázs

Balázs

Hmmm…, GeneratePress (the Theme) is installed and active (it also was before). The theme itself works. It sais version 1.3.39.
    Gp Premium plugin is also installed and activated. Version 1.2.89.
    I can’t Live Preview or Customize other themes.

EDIT: OK, so as I understand it, when the GP Premium stuff is activated, BUT I want to preview other themes, the GeneratePress Theme itself gets deactivated, so the premium plugins fail, is that it? So there is nothing to be done about it then? (This was what Lyle said “how things work”?)

Greets,
    Balázs

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

I’m afraid so, GP Premium assumes that GP is activated, so when it’s switched off, those functions that GP Premium needs don’t exist anymore.

Balázs

Isn’t there a way to show a big red box or something that “Hey, the GP Plugins are failing, hence Live Preview fails too, because the GP Theme is not active!” or something?

Because the plugins basically break a core functionality of WordPress, namely the Live preview of other themes is broken while the plugins are active. I would consider this a bug, and for a first time user, especially for a less technically inclined, can leave him wondering why he can’t preview themes anymore (like Lyle assumed his WordPress install was dodgy).

If it can’t be fixed now, at the very least some big letter warning should be shown somewhere, that Live preview won’t work while the GP Plugins are active.

But better yet, isn’t it possible to just simply disable the plugin functionality automatically when the GP Theme is not active, like auto-detecting and silently disabling the plugin?

Greets,
    Balázs

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

There’s no real way for plugins to check what the active theme is (consistently) – I’ve tried quite a bit in the past.

You’re right though – it’s not the friendliest way to fail when previewing other themes.

For now, until I figure out a fix, it’s best to deactivate GP Premium (or just the add-ons) while previewing other themes.

I’ll try to find a solution for the next version 🙂

Balázs

If a big warning is shoved into my face like “You WON’T preview other themes while the plugins are active. You’ve been warned!”, I’d consider that a fix for me 😀

But if you find a real solution, that’d be great!

Anyway, the GP theme is awesome! I just (today) began using WordPress in general, and I’m sure a big part in my enjoyment so far was thanks to GP, so thanks for it, and keep up the good work!

Greets,
    Balázs

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Really appreciate your input, thank you!

Glad you’re liking GP so far as well 🙂

Hans

I have the same problem, suddenly, during building the website
    – installed GeneratePress
    – installed the GP Premium (version 1.7.8)

Activate the GP Premium:
    – Customise will give a blank page trying to start Live Preview

Deactivate GP Premium Plugin:
    – Customise can be used normally

Howto solve that (server is WP 5.1.1, memory is set to 256M on nginx)?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

can you check what PHP version you are on, recommend that is 7.x let me know.

Hans

The server data is:

Web server: nginx/1.12.2 (Linux FHML-SRV067 3.10.0-957.5.1.el7 64-bit #1 SMP Fri Feb 1 14:54:57 UTC 2019)
    ABSPATH: /usr/share/nginx/wordpress/
    WP_CONTENT_DIR: /usr/share/nginx/wordpress/wp-content
    WP_PLUGIN_DIR: /usr/share/nginx/wordpress/wp-content/plugins
    Table prefix: wp_
    Web-server disk space in use by UpdraftPlus: 44.3 MB refresh
    Peak memory usage: 8.25 MB
    Current memory usage: 8.25 MB
    Memory limit: 1024M
    PHP version: 7.2.15 – show PHP information (phpinfo)
    MySQL version: 5.5.60-MariaDB
    Curl version: 7.29.0 / SSL: NSS/3.36 / libz: 1.2.7
    OpenSSL version: OpenSSL 1.0.2k 26 Jan 2017
    MCrypt: No
    ZipArchive::addFile: Yes
    zip executable found: Yes: /usr/bin/zip

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Have you checked to see if there are other plugins that are conflicting?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.