[Resolved] HTML5 Tags

Home Forums Support [Resolved] HTML5 Tags

Home Forums Support HTML5 Tags

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ammar

Hi all,

I need some assistance with setting up correct HTML5 tags in Generate Press.

Here is the HTML5 layout which I would like my blog articles to be like (and also some pages which I use for content).

Now, when I enter my post HTML5 I have a few problems. I’m not sure how GenerateBlocks etc work with this, or where I would need to put/change the HTML5 tags to correct.

1) Top Nav is not in the <header> HTML5 markup
    2) Bottom Nav is not in the <footer> HTML5 Markup
    3) On Post Page, h1 is not in the <main> and <article> HTML5 markup
    4) I may want to add the <aside> tag outside of the <article> tag but within the <main> tag – how would I do this? This section would be for an email signup box or a discount code.

Hope the above is clear, but let me know if I need to clarify.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Just a quick note on HTML5 semnantics, the spec is continually evolving and the link you shared is a little out of date, it doesn’t mean its wrong but its not to latest spec. So ill outline how to make the changes with comments where i can.

1. You would need to change the Customizer > Layout > Primary Navigation -> Location to Float Right. This will place it inside the <header>

Latest spec: you can put the <nav> where you feel it’s most appropriate – there is no value add of it being in the <header>

2. Edit the Block Element you have for your Footer. Select the parent Container and change its Tag Name to Footer

3. The Block Element would need to be hooked into: generate_before_main_content

4. You would need to hook in your own Container blocks which can have the Tag Name set to <aside> using the same hook as #3. However if you want it displayed as a sidebar then you going to need to do some CSS working

… However see here regarding the aside element in the latest HTML Spec :

https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/sections.html#the-aside-element

This part is of the most relevance:

Contexts in which this element can be used: Where sectioning content is expected.

<main> is not a sectioning element, whereas elements like body, article, section are.
    So having it as a direct node of the <main> is kinda incorrect and would be no different to having it in the body where the context would be correct.

Ammar

Thanks for this.

Really usefil explanation and links.

Will see how I get along.

🙂

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.