[Resolved] How to Style Archive Pages?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] How to Style Archive Pages?

Home Forums Support How to Style Archive Pages?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

1. You should be able to set the featured image to above the title in Customize > Layout Blog in the “Featured Images” section. Is that where you’ve set it?

2. You can set the “Blog pages show at most” setting in “Settings > Reading”.

3. That’s the correct way to do it.

4. You certainly could. If you did create a template for a specific category, you could use a shortcode to output the loop of posts.

Andres

Hello Tom,

Thank you. I resolved getting the featured image to appear above the title and how many posts appear at once. I’ve also figured out how to adjust the margins between blog posts and H2 title size, and the vertical spacing between the posts. It’s almost how we want it to look. Thanks for your help!!

For some reason, the Read More option does not appear under the posts. In Customizer –> Layout –> Blog, there are various options for the Read More Label. None of them seem to determine if the Read More Label appears, leading me to believe it should appear. Is there a setting somewhere else in GP that I am missing that will show “Read More”?

Here’s the category page in question on our staging site for reference:

I do have a few questions about category pages in GP.

1. I’ve pretty much got the styling how we want on the above category page. What I don’t yet understand is, is where is the correct place to input the text that appears above the queried posts? I’m referring to the paragraph text under the title and before the post. We input this text in the Description field that appears when editing that category (Posts –> Categories –> Edit (Category).

2. From what I gather, the settings in the Blog Module are apply site wide to all category pages. Were we to want to style particular category pages differently from the one above, how would we go about it. For example, were we to want one category page to have a full-width masonry-type layout with only images that was full width that had the title as a text overlay on hover, and a hero header.

We are considering either creating custom PHP templates or using static pages for category pages (https://docs.wpshowposts.com/article/use-static-pages-as-category-archives/), along with your WP Show Post Pro plugin too depending on what the limitations are with the GP Blog Module.

Thank you and have a good day.

Cheers!

Andrés

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Are you manually adding your excerpts to the “Excerpt” metabox by chance?

1. I’m not sure what you mean here. The correct place to add a description to a category is where you’re currently doing it (Posts –> Categories –> Edit (Category)).

2. This would take some custom development. You might be able to get away with just CSS, but it may take more than that. The WPSP method might be the way to go.

Andres

Hi Tom

Thank you.

I’m going to try the static pages option for category pages + WP Show Posts. That’s something I can do myself. Creating the custom PHP templates is beyond me. My only concern are implementing breadcrumbs and SEO implications.

One question I do have regarding this method is: Will the static pages replace the category page with regards to the hierarchy and be seen as category pages to an .xml site map and search engines?

On another note, I’ve been looking into a plugin (Category Editor) that allows advanced editing of category pages and the ability to insert code when editing a category page using the default method. This would allow me to use WP Show Posts without having to create static pages or custom PHP templates. All I would need to do is disable the default loop, I think. What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you very much for your patience and help. It is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Andrés

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

As of right now it’s not possible to disable the default loop without a custom page template. However, we have made it possible in 2.5.0 which is currently in development.

Creating a category template isn’t super hard. You can learn more about it here: https://codex.wordpress.org/Category_Templates

You can copy the archive.php file in the parent theme and add it to your child theme, then re-name it using the structure in that article.

Once that’s done, I can provide more instruction on replacing the default loop with a specific WPSP list 🙂

Andres

Hi Tom,

Creating a custom PHP template looks like the best, well, only option, until the next version of GP Pro is released.

I will leave thread open for a few more days so that I can post the results so that other people who have similar questions can benefit.

Many thanks, Tom, and have a good day!

Andrés

Andres

Thank you for your help.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.